Good all-purpose heavier fishing tackle

C

cwsmith

I am looking for some advice on purchasing some heavier fishing gear. I have grown all to accustomed to borrowing grandpa's stuff to take with me everywhere and now I'm moved out and in college. What would be a good versatile set-up to go after sturgeon, salmon, steelhead, and possibly make a few trips out to saltwater, if there is any?

thank you to anybody willing to help a poor college kid. thanks!

M

Moe

A good cheap rod would be a 10 ft ugly stick Bigwater that comes with a reel for 70 bucks at dicks.

W

waco

you should check craiglist, i was taking a look at it today and they have a lot of options!!!

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Craigslist is awesome for finding good gear at good prices. Abu-Garcia's are my favorite heavy duty all around reel, I use an 8' 6'' Olympian with the stock Ambassadeur reel as an all around rod/reel combo, but a 10ft would do you better for casting and fishing rivers.

If you check Craigslist, use a variety of keywords, like rod, fishing rod(s), fishing pole(s), tackle, fishing tackle, fishing gear, salmon, steelhead, etc.

F

fishnquest

Wow. I was gonna say its hard to go wrong with ugly stick rod and abu-garcia ambassadeur reel. and I thought the folks here would look down their noses at it :lol:
Just don't go and get a 200lb halibut on one tho.

M

meluvtrout

I posted Craig's phone number to another thread as well, but looks like he'll be popular. Call him 503.320.0142. He usually has around 100-200 rods you can sort through. All rods are garage sale prices $5-$10...

C

cwsmith

I found a good deal on something that looked pretty good. It is a Rhino Baitcast XL indestructible glow tip rod/reel combo from Wholesale Sports. line weight: 10-25#, lure weight 3/8 to 1 ounce, action medium heavy. it was $60. good deal?

F

fishnquest

Hold the rod in your hand like you are fishing. Have someone else grab just the tip of the top eye and do a little jerking like a fish. It will show you the action of the rod. Now you can compare. A salesperson showed me that one time; I thought it worked pretty good.
As for the one you found, I know nothing. Nnnnnooooothhhing. (OK, you're probly too young to remember hogans heroes.) Good luck.

B

bigdog

I found a good deal on something that looked pretty good. It is a Rhino Baitcast XL indestructible glow tip rod/reel combo from Wholesale Sports. line weight: 10-25#, lure weight 3/8 to 1 ounce, action medium heavy. it was $60. good deal?

Not a bad deal, at least sounds ok to me. Might be a little heavy for a steelie but I'm sure it will still do the job though.

Top Bottom