colby
so i got some new soft baits:

-watermelon seed 4inch lizards
-pumpkin pepper grubs
-pink 4 inch squid

any tips on using any of those?

F
FishSchooler
For the grubs and lizards, swing them back and forth, slowly reeling and swaying the rod back and forth, give an occasional jerk. The squids, jerk, let sink, jerk, let sink, until it gets back to cast again.

K
kmo
75 boats on the water!

C
colby
thanx schooler.

kmo, dangit! guess ill be fishin the creek.

F
FishSchooler
No Problem

No Problem

No problem colby, let us know how the bassin goes!

C
colby
yeah, ill be taking plenty of pictures for my facebook and you guys n gals :]

C
colby
okay well im back. we caught, in 3 full days, 3 fish (boated). one, the first, we caught (we=my mother) 2 yellow perch on worms, working the bottom. real live worms, on 4 pound test line, snelled hooks, and 1/4 oz weight. one was fat and 10 inches long, the other was kinda skinny and was 10.5 inches long. all they were eating was snails and general bugs, from stomach contents.

we were in a boat, and on friday, the first day we were there, we went into a finger and i was working lilly pags and got a nice bite on a lizard, but he never came back after i tried to set the hook. on the 2nd day we didn't boat anything, except for one bass that i caught. he was 3 inches, i did take a pic of him. he hooked himself in the eye and gills, so i decided to take him back and release him where he could maybe have a chance at not getting eaten, which was back by a dock near the place we were staying. he was fine when i released him the next morning. sunday morning we went out super early to the place where we caught the perch, and had a ton of bites on worms, and we were boating tons of small perch on worms (the perch were >4 inches) so we were throwing them back, but they werent really staying right side up if ya know what i mean.

so basically, the only thing the fish wanted was worms. all i wanted were bass. all we caught were perch. it was a total skunk session. the lady in the drive up tackle shop in the marina said something about an alge bloom which was messing with the fishes normal feeding habits and that we needed really smelly bait, so take some powerbait and put it over the eye of the hook if ya go out there and are bottom fishing. also trolling turned up no good. the bass fishing tournament was quite agitating, because they were boating...

C
colby
... really big fish like crazy and we were fishing the same area with similar lures and actions but not even getting bites. also i heard they were required to throw back all bass under 15 inches, and i think one day, the top score was 20 something pounds for the teams limit.... i think.

it was fun, and i want to go back, but i was annoyed at not catching any real fish when i know that place is packed with fish.

pics later :)

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Tenmile is a teaser...

Tenmile is a teaser...

Sounds like you and your family had a great time. You will probably boat more next time if there isn't all that pressure from a tournament. Thanks for the report, it sure makes it enticing for the rest of us go try it out.
Barb

C
colby
yeah, well we boat fished 5 plus hours on friday and saturday and sunday morning we stopped at 10:30, so we got 3ish hours out there.

thars muh bass haha

Last edited:
Z
Zeroresin
Well I posted my report for tenmile in another thread, dunno how I got on that one I was reading this one... but anyway, the Willy for Smallies thread has my full report but you sound like you had my kinda luck, all we were getting were those little dinky perch. On worms, nothing else and I too want the monster bass! :lol: If anybody on here has bait suggestions, I'm sure we'd both appreciate it. And either here or the other thread, maybe a link to whatever bait it is? As I'm fairly new to fishing I'm not sure where to find most of the ones you all talk about or even what they look like! :lol:

Google FTW! I know what they are now! But I can't seem to find any on the coast, I'll keep spelunking into coastal bait shops see if I can't find them and let ya'll know... According to their website tho there's about 3 or 4 places that carry Senkos in Lakeside which is the town right next to Tenmile.

Last edited:
C
colby
yeah, i wanted a real bass so bad. thats all i wanted :confused:

i thought it was just nuts how only worms were working, i mean, geez.

it kinda ruined the trip not catching a bass :(

F
FishSchooler
The thing Im wondering about is why do people insist on bass? Is it because they fight hard or are they easy to catch for their fight? They hardly are edible... They might be fun, but there are much better fish that fight twice as hard and are easier to catch, sometimes. Shad fight hard for their size, salmon and steelhead are the strongest of them all hurdling falls and rapids, and big ol trout are everywhere, and they give quite a fight a lot of the times... You dont have to catch bass to have fun. And you dont get to take anything home besides stories... Why not try other species colby?

F
flippinbaits
FishSchooler said:
The thing Im wondering about is why do people insist on bass? Is it because they fight hard or are they easy to catch for their fight? They hardly are edible... They might be fun, but there are much better fish that fight twice as hard and are easier to catch, sometimes. Shad fight hard for their size, salmon and steelhead are the strongest of them all hurdling falls and rapids, and big ol trout are everywhere, and they give quite a fight a lot of the times... You dont have to catch bass to have fun. And you dont get to take anything home besides stories... Why not try other species colby?

Have you caught many bass fishschooler. just curious?

i agree, you can catch tons of shad. shad fight hard. but do shad blast through lily pads eating a frog?...do they nail 6-10'' swimbaits and rip the pole from ur hans? do they get to 10+ lbs? plus, shad are hardly edible.

plus if you want to talk salmon steelhead, where the heck are they??? numbers are way down! and i believe it is easier to stumble upon a bass than a steelhead or salmon.

plus lots of fishermen catch fish for fun, not to eat. i love bass fishing and dont eat them, so it's not a big deal for me.

and you mentioned trout. almost all the plantar trout fight like a wet towel. maybe if you get into some natives, but most trout i've caught arent fun unless you have a 5' pole and 4 lb test.

so people dont insist on bass. but it is much more gratifying in my opinion to hoist up a 5lb bass, then 50 shad. and once you get it down, it isn't out of the question to catch 100 bass days. :dance:

C
colby
i was hoping to catch whatever, i like bass because when they explode out of the brush and whatnot, it feels like a million bucks. i dont eat the fish i catch either, so i dont care about taste. i usually go for trout on the mckenzi, but bass are a great change :D

idk, bass are just fun.

100 bass days? are you crazy? bahaha, i would die for that.

F
flippinbaits
colby said:
i was hoping to catch whatever, i like bass because when they explode out of the brush and whatnot, it feels like a million bucks. i dont eat the fish i catch either, so i dont care about taste. i usually go for trout on the mckenzi, but bass are a great change :D

idk, bass are just fun.

they arent all fatty 5lb bass...but people can catch 100 smallies in some of our rivers...they will just be...well...not huge lol

C
colby
if it is the edible size, its worth catching. i think ima go try just top water lures around trees and stuff if we ever go back. top waters work great for those bass fishers, and they arent that hard to use.

F
flippinbaits
colby said:
i top waters work great for those bass fishers, and they arent that hard to use.

bite your tongue :naughty: lol

good luck with the topwater...sure is a blast!!

C
chris61182
colby said:

Just keep practicing, fall will be here soon and then they'll go into a feeding frenzy as they try to fatten up before winter hits.

F
FishSchooler
Heh heh, you got me there flippinbaits.:D:D
Shad are very edible, we ate every single one. You just have to deal with the bones. We can easily eat the meat with the bones in them, we just slowly eat and spit them out. I will name them the death fish cause they have lots of bones... :lol: heh heh, get it?!?!?:lol::lol: They do fight real hard for their size, when I was fishin, i was standin on this big wet rock, my jig was like 5 feet from the bank and boom! It took my by surprise and I slipped and went for a wet ride! Good thing a rock caught me. The biggest one i caught made a HUGE leap in a wave, the wave kinda launched it over 4 feet! The scary thing was, I saw a big sturgeon come up to the bank and back down into the depths... Tryin to steal my shad they were!
The trout, I'm talkin up in canada, lake trout anbad the trout that live in glacial lakes and all. Not the plain hatchery trout in ponds and stuff.
Trout grow bigger than bass sometimes just to let you know.:tongue:
Largest trout ever: 40+ lbs
Largest bass ever:25+ lbs

Last edited: