Glass- 7’6” 3wt

Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Lots of rough things in life lately, so I bit the bullet and decided to treat myself- a new Orvis 3wt 7’6” Superfine Glass is on its way to me.

I demoed one in their shop a couple times in the past week or two, and couldn’t get that feeling out of my head. This will be my first experience with a modern fiberglass rod and I’m pretty excited. Smaller native fish are what I usually target, and I hope this rod will fit that niche. Are there any glass lovers here? I’d love your thoughts and recommendations.

• DC33BC6D-7A32-442C-9880-B29520F1826E.jpeg
O
Oregunner
I have a couple Eagleclaw Featherweight 3 wt fly rods. These are traditional all fiberglass rods. I use them to catch crappie on the local lake. Fun rod with small fish.

troutdude
troutdude
I own dozens of rods; and probably 80% or more are glass. But they are old school E-glass (think Fenwick) or S-glass (think Fenwick Supreme Glass product line--or Lamiglas S-glass rods). That's all we had, other than bamboo, when I was young--and I still LOVE them all today. Also...I have NEVER broken a glass rod. But a few graphite rods have broken. So I tend NOT to buy graphite.

Must admit that I'm not familiar with the type of glass used to make your rod. But I'll lay odds that you will really enjoy it!

Good luck and let us know how you do/what you think after flinging some bugs with it.

Reactions: Blue Lines and Casting Call
TheKnigit
TheKnigit
I have one old glass 8wt fly rod. I love the sensitivity of it. I have fished a couple of smaller 3wts for small stream trout, and they have been a lot of fun as well. These have all been older style rods though. I would be curios how a newer rod does/feels compared to the older ones.

Reactions: Blue Lines and troutdude
Casting Call
Casting Call
I always step-down on line wt. by one size, rod size 3wt.=2wt. line. Toss's better. Tony

Reactions: troutdude
Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Thanks, everyone, for the insight!

In addition to the graphite rods, I inherited a couple old glass 6wt rods and one glass 8wt, but they are of mixed quality and are all pretty whip-like and tip heavy. In the store the new glass felt smooth and responsive- I hope it’s the same on the water.

Orvis originally said the rod wouldn’t be in stock for a few weeks, but looking at the tracking it may arrive tomorrow… fingers crossed. (Unfortunately my next opportunity to get on the water won’t be until later in the week).

I’ll report back as soon as I load the reel and have it all in-hand.

Reactions: TheKnigit and troutdude
Blue Lines
Blue Lines
Well… unfortunately Orvis mistakenly sent me a mislabeled 4wt 7’6” instead of the 3wt. They are making it right and letting me fish the 4wt until the correct rod arrives.

Long and short of it is, even underlined the 7’6” Superfine Glass is fantastic. The shorter rod keeps me out of the brush, and the fiberglass has the most lovely feel to it. Surprisingly it’s still incredibly accurate.

Had a stellar afternoon throwing dries to native cutts on a small coast range stream. If life is this good now I’m going to lose my mind when the 3wt arrives.

(Orvis 4wt Superfine Glass, Battenkill II reel, 3wt Hydros Superfine Trout line)F4604A16-9CED-443B-8BCB-9EC1A7E86072.jpeg152F1AB1-325F-4D29-A7BB-1636DDED7A30.jpeg

Reactions: TheKnigit and troutdude
N
normf
One of my favorite rod’s regardless of price is a fiberglass Cabelas CGR 7 ft,
4/5 wt. It casts well and feels like a 3 wt. with a fish on. I think I paid around $70. on sale. I also have a 5 ft. 9 in. 3 wt. that is fun to fish with .

Reactions: Blue Lines and Casting Call
Casting Call
Casting Call
Blue Lines said:
Well… unfortunately Orvis mistakenly sent me a mislabeled 4wt 7’6” instead of the 3wt. They are making it right and letting me fish the 4wt until the correct rod arrives.

Long and short of it is, even underlined the 7’6” Superfine Glass is fantastic. The shorter rod keeps me out of the brush, and the fiberglass has the most lovely feel to it. Surprisingly it’s still incredibly accurate.

Had a stellar afternoon throwing dries to native cutts on a small coast range stream. If life is this good now I’m going to lose my mind when the 3wt arrives.

(Orvis 4wt Superfine Glass, Battenkill II reel, 3wt Hydros Superfine Trout line)View attachment 639479View attachment 639480
A nice stepdown in line wt. makes a world of difference in the control of the retrieval and sensitivity. Thanks for the post. Tony