Giant hatchery steel

P
plumb2fish
halibuthitman said:
since when does an 18 lb fish make the news?..... very nice fish-

It makes the news in Eugene since our hatchery fish average 6 lbs with a large one being 10....still feeling the effects of the Alsea brats 10+ yrs later....

H
halibuthitman
troutdude said:
Brad, I know that's not a monster if we're talking about nates...but, that is pretty large for a clipped fish is it not?
I think you would be shocked by the number of 17-20 lb hatchery fish that get caught... but most steelheaders that I know wouldn't show a fish like that out of their system even for the braggin rights.. there would end up being a blanket hatch of radio fishermen 2 days later.. and I also find the common opinion that nates are bigger than hatchery fish to be ridiculous.. 17-18 lbs is not that far for of a reach at all for a hatchery fish.. now 21+ lbs is gonna be more common in natives, but so are 4-5 lbers.. my top 7 biggest fish in the lower 48 last year were hatchery fish, my 8 smallest were natives.. and a Monster steelhead starts at 23 lbs.. and that fish is a ****ing boot... you can't pay enough for a smoker that can fix that... the thing looks like a sockeye in august... but as I said earlier, nice big fish.. 18 lbs is big.. luckly it looks like it got to pass on the genes-

M
Mad dog
halibuthitman said:
I think you would be shocked by the number of 17-20 lb hatchery fish that get caught... but most steelheaders that I know wouldn't show a fish like that out of their system even for the braggin rights.. there would end up being a blanket hatch of radio fishermen 2 days later.. and I also find the common opinion that nates are bigger than hatchery fish to be ridiculous.. 17-18 lbs is not that far for of a reach at all for a hatchery fish.. now 21+ lbs is gonna be more common in natives, but so are 4-5 lbers.. my top 7 biggest fish in the lower 48 last year were hatchery fish, my 8 smallest were natives.. and a Monster steelhead starts at 23 lbs.. and that fish is a ****ing boot... you can't pay enough for a smoker that can fix that... the thing looks like a sockeye in august... but as I said earlier, nice big fish.. 18 lbs is big.. luckly it looks like it got to pass on the genes-

My 1st ever steelhead was a 37" 17 lb. buck I caught on the North Fork Alsea....of course that was 30 years ago! :D Used to see lots of hatchery steelhead in those days that would stretch the tape into the mid 30" range.

I know this season in one day my son caught a 34" buck and a friend caught a 36" hen...both hatchery fish! I guess it just depends on the system....they are out there!

S
sammyj
Wow I live on the same street as that guy, you should see his garage it looks like a Rod and Reel Museum, he is always always always fishing

troutdude
troutdude
If he's always out fishing, what his address? I could always use some extra rods n' reels! LOL <just kidding folks>

Seriously though, If I were you I'd try to get to the know the guy. I'd want to learn all that I could about the stuff that he has collected.