Furbag at river mile 40

jamisonace
jamisonace
I couldn't believe my eyes....literally. I stared at it staring at me for a few seconds while I tried to wrap my mind around what I was seeing. It was only 30 feet away and I knew it was a seal but after it descended under the reflection of morning light I had to ask my buddy if I really just saw a seal 40 miles from salt water. After he confirmed the sighting I grabbed my phone, still somewhat in disbelief, and waited for it to present itself again. When it did, I fumbled with the zoom only to get two photos: One with the seal in it and one without. After speaking with a few people it turns out it's not all that uncommon for them to be up that high and even higher in the Umpqua system.

So does it mean they are following a push of fish or does it mean the fish are so scarce in tidewater that they are up there looking for old coho and chinook?

One thing is for sure. With that seal in the hole all night, the fish were nowhere to be seen.

• 20211201_073828.jpg
Last edited:
P
pcstock
River mile 40???? That is nothing! They are all over the lower willamette.

jamisonace
jamisonace
@pcstock Totally different system. The Umpqua has significant rapids and low water conditions starting at mile 16. Willamette has no barriers until Willamette Falls and even tidal influence near the mouth I believe. There are other coastal streams where a seal at 10 miles is significant.

Last edited:
P
pcstock
Aha! Thanks for the info!

Reactions: jamisonace
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
Last year saw them in Siltcoos Lk!

C_Run
C_Run
I saw one on the Alsea once above the Ermie Walter launch which is probably about 6 miles above tidewater and plenty of rapids in between. Couldn't believe it.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
The craziest one I’ve ever seen was a seal at moonshine park on the siletz in January a few years back. That’s at river mile 47 and through more than a couple boat-rating rapids.They are getting desperate with the low fish runs we’re having as well.

jamisonace
jamisonace
O. mykiss said:
The craziest one I’ve ever seen was a seal at moonshine park on the siletz in January a few years back. That’s at river mile 47 and through more than a couple boat-rating rapids.They are getting desperate with the low fish runs we’re having as well.

Moonshine! That is crazy.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
jamisonace said:
Moonshine! That is crazy.
I could not believe what I was seeing. It hauled it’s out on a rock bar right across from the outflow of a creek that leaves the acclimation facility. Others saw it and were blown away too

S
Snopro
How about sea lions around the mouth of the Deschutes? That's two sets of locks or fish ladders to climb over and 204 miles from the ocean.

And now there wandering the streets of Lincoln City. Street Walker Sealion

Reactions: RiverWalker