Fun weekend at the beach

S
skunk
Went to tillamook this weekend for a little relaxation. Tried fishing of the north jetty at Barview and was rewarded with a little action. Fun thing about the ocean is you never know whats coming up from the depths. Got three greenlings, one cabezon, and one nice fat good tasting sea bass.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
troutmasta
I'm a rookie at fishing in the ocean. But I've fished off the jetty Newport and caught all sorts off crazy stuff. I still suck at it though and have never got a bass or lingcod any advice?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Way to go!

Way to go!

skunk;
Thanks for the encouraging report. Looks like you had a good day over there. Someday I plan on trying my hand at some ocean fishing. That sea bass looks like dinner,glad to hear it was good tasting. :clap:

S
skunk
I'm no expert either, troutmasta, but I stuck with it and sort of figured it out. Best setup I could work with was to set up like drift fishing for steelhead. 3 way swivel, 4-6" of pencil lead right off the swivel, and then about 20" leader to hook baited with fresh sand shrimp. Had a heck of a time getting those sand shrimp to stay on. Finally tried some of the strechy string and got it to work ok. I tried pyramid wt and the flat round wt but both got hung up a lot worse than the pencil lead. Also longer leaders tended to get hung up worse. I am going to try golf balls for wt next time. Small hole and put in thread-in eyes. See if they bounce off rocks better. All in all its fun, just bring lots, lots, lots of tackle.

M
Mike123
How do Geenlings taste?

I've caught a few but always threw them back cause they were small and didn't know how they'd taste?

I know I like bass and cabezon! Deep fried in some batter! Lemon and dill, and tarter sauce.. MMmmmmm

S
skunk
I will let you know. We didn't know they don't taste good so I kept some. My brother-in-law doesn't care for them so I guess we will see. Probably try them tomorrow night as we went to the in-laws for dinner tonight.

S
SalmonStalker
The last time i went fishing in the ocean i caught some stuff. I tossed a 1 once weight snf a worm and hoped for the best:)
Caught some crazy thing didn't know what it was called. Fought good though. It was like 14in

L
livin2fish
skunk said:
I'm no expert either, troutmasta, but I stuck with it and sort of figured it out. Best setup I could work with was to set up like drift fishing for steelhead. 3 way swivel, 4-6" of pencil lead right off the swivel, and then about 20" leader to hook baited with fresh sand shrimp. Had a heck of a time getting those sand shrimp to stay on. Finally tried some of the strechy string and got it to work ok. I tried pyramid wt and the flat round wt but both got hung up a lot worse than the pencil lead. Also longer leaders tended to get hung up worse. I am going to try golf balls for wt next time. Small hole and put in thread-in eyes. See if they bounce off rocks better. All in all its fun, just bring lots, lots, lots of tackle.
I like to run a dropper set up lead on the bottom with the hook up 16-24 in on a short leader ,no need for swivels just tie it right onto your line. look for holes in the rocks just off the waters edge the fish will sit in them and ambush bait. Sand shrimp is always the hot ticket but kelp worms, worms, squid etc. all work good also try crappie jigs and you can rig them goofy like and do great "the plastic jigs " don't need lead heads just stick em on a hook. Pencil lead also works the best so stick with that. fishon.

T
Thuggin4Life
You can run some bait be it shrimp or herring or anchovie. on a plunking type rig for salmon of the jetty and get all kinds of fish. Never tried it but my dadd id it back in the 80's. you use a slinding swivel with some wieght. and a few feet of leader to the hook and bait. and you put a float somewhere on the leader. cast it out and let it sit. you can let out more line and adjust how deep you are. and the float keeps your bait of the bottom from crawling pinching things. Not sure if he did any good I always get the story where he got a bird doing it.

S
skunk
Excellent ideas thuggin and livin i'll try them next time. And for how greenling taste...we cook fish very well and the sea bass was awesome so...the greenling was about like standing on the jetty and taking that sand shrimp that rolled around in the surf on your hook and just munching!!! There's a good catch and release fish :)

F
fish_4_all
Green ling are really good, that Kelp green ling you got is also really good but the flash is mushy and hard to cook right. I have found that a good crumb meal on a frozen fillet works really good with kelpies, the meat stays together a little better anyway. My best kelpie recipe is wild rice and Teryaki sauce. Cook them up on the stove in a pan with water, teryaki, season all, garlic and some Old bay seafood seasoning. Basically put it all in and boil it until it falls apart, put it on wild rice and add the sauce from the boil. I don't measure, just wing it depending on how I want it to taste on any given day.

Nice winter catch. I rarely brave the jetties here after mid October. The waves and wind simply freeze you off before you can get into fish.

Oh and I agree, pencil lead all the way. But I fish it on a sliding sinker with a swivel below the lead an 18 to 24 inch leader on lighter line than my main line. Usually 12# main and 10# leader.

Last edited:
S
skunk
Thanks fish 4 all, sometimes its how the fish is cooked that makes the difference. I'll try your recipe and see if that helps. And I'll try the lead on a sliding sinker. I've seen that setup for drift fishing steelhead and have yet to try it.

F
fish_4_all
Something else to try, kinda like others have said is to do this:
Best baits are sandshrimp, nightcrawlers and tube worms for me. Sand worms are good too but I have never tried pile worms. They also seem to like small clams and I have seen many limpets on the stomachs of a lot of kelpies I have caught in the past.
Take about 1 ounce of pencil lead rigged as a slip sinker. More if you need to combat the waves to get down into the hole.
Put on a really short leader, I will use as short as a 3 inch leader for doing this on a size 1 hook or whatever size you like.
Find some rocks that have some spaces between them and start vertical jigging trying to find a place where the bottom drops off and goes down into a hole. Once you find it, slowly jig it up and down with a shrimp and wait for the take. Hitting right beside a rock often finds the deepest holes.

Here is the key to this technique, do NOT set the hook right away. Feel the bite and then wait for them to pull on it, then set the hook. A lot of people who try this setup lose a lot of gear because they set the hook too soon and pull everything into the rocks. And the short leader keeps the bait down with the sinker so it is fishing deep.

When it comes to Kelp Greenling, I have NEVER been skuked when I target them this way. I may catch a lot of small ones but sooner or later larger ones will come into the hole. If you find a good spot, if it works the same way down there, you can pull 5-30+ kelp greenling out of the same spot and may even hook into a couple bass and green ling. Not to mention the occasional ling cod that will latch onto a kelpie once you hook it in the same hole.

Oh and be ready to lose some hooks. I go through between 15-40 on a full day fishing this way. Is why I use a lighter line for my leader as the weight rarely snags up on me. And more often than not I can work the whole thing lose by jigging it up and down a couple times