Fun to come up with new shapes/actions as much as it is catching fish

S
Senkosam
Guess I'll try adding photos and hope they won't be gigantic like my other post.

I work with plastic and molds to make lures, but modifying lures is always primary. I have molds for curl tail designs and figured that
maybe if the body was made thicker, it might generate more strikes in murky water. To do that I dipped premade lures in hot (300 degree) plastic one or more times and allowed to cool. They seem they do better with the plumper bodies:
Mhlkpod.jpg
b9Ts8Iz.jpg

Ap43RM4.jpg
ZEjRFwv.jpg
ry83Krl.jpg
wuwBTma.jpg
wxJS8Fq.jpg
dXQSaAr.jpg

(Note the clear plastic lures that caught fish.)

In line with the chubby lure idea, I came up with what I call the light bulb lure design - a hand-poured lure named Mo Magic by the company that makes the mold. I cut off the front bulbous front of the straight tail grub. This is the original which does well:
gIBbGqH.jpg
Enu4jhq.jpg

I add it to a smaller body and use it with a light jig.
The ones at the top along with other dipped plastics:
YKZxGZ6.jpg
IYvBMZw.jpg
NLYmvpQ.jpg
Fh3xUBw.jpg

A6QIbJV.jpg

The same shape is achieved by cutting off the end of this Softy Worm on the left:
SS55OyC.jpg
nYnUFl7.jpg
gVa09Si.jpg

Here I added a Crappie Magnet tail to a Mo Magic dipped segment:
aAoRr5C.jpg
lIG6QGO.jpg

The above were discovered in the last three months and have caught hundreds of fish.

Last edited:
Reactions: Diehard and Snopro
The finesse Ned rig!

Love the customs, always willing to try things the fish haven't seen before.

Do you think the larger lure makes more of a difference than color in murky water?

Gerald Swindle I think was the one who taught me that confidence is by far the most important factor, then presentation, then color

Do you think the larger lure makes more of a difference than color in murky water?
I do now as of yesterday with 71 fish caught under a bright sun from 11 am - 5 pm.
I decided to double-dip more plastics making the body chubby, especially straight tails and curl tails in different colors. All-size fish smacked them!

IMG_3955.JPG
IMG_3971.JPG
IMG_3966.JPG

IMG_3963.JPG
IMG_3951.JPG

Note the clear plastic ct on the right with black stripe. The lure was clobbered until the tail was bit off.

The chubby light bulb also did fantastic:

chart light bulb.jpg
IMG_3904.JPG

I have a few ideas why the increase in thickness may make a difference, but suffice to say the only reason is that they catch fish - and better than smaller lures of the same design!!! Curl tails haven't been a favorite of mine until the body increase in diameter.

Last edited:
NKlamerus said:
Maybe. Proximity is the most important requirement IMO for making sure a lure is within a fish's strike-sphere. Only then can the lure's visual appeal matter. We gotta go to the fish; being lazy energy-conserving animals, they don't swim very far to sample the question marks we cast.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom