Forget the bass

L
LingFace
will a little treble work on surf perch?

P
playhooky
What are you planning to use for bait? I’ve found that a size 4 baitholder hook (Eagle Claw) works really well for threading on and keeping on the 2” Gulp Sandworms which I prefer for bait. Also, you’ll want to consider a hook which will allow ease of removal for those perch you’ll want to release like the smaller ones and the mamas full of babies. So, in my opinion treble hooks are not fish friendly for surf perch. Always keep a keen eye on the surf and best to fish the incoming tide. Be safe and good luck out there. Cheers!

troutdude
troutdude
playhooky;n610065 said:
So, in my opinion treble hooks are not fish friendly for surf perch.

Treble hooks are responsible, for high mortality rates. Not just for perch either. They kill any specie, indiscriminately.

P
pinstriper
troutdude said:
Treble hooks are responsible, for high mortality rates. Not just for perch either. They kill any specie, indiscriminately.

I agree, and am going to experiment with barbless circle hooks and see how that goes.

O
OnTheDrop
Is now the time? I want to hit some perch this week after a Steelhead trip....I want to make some fish tacos, damnit. Anyone going out there sometime during the week? I'll trade some knowledge on Steelhead, or take you to a watering hole afterwards. Cheers~

hobster
hobster
OnTheDrop;n610076 said:
Is now the time? I want to hit some perch this week after a Steelhead trip....I want to make some fish tacos, damnit. Anyone going out there sometime during the week? I'll trade some knowledge on Steelhead, or take you to a watering hole afterwards. Cheers~

From what i understand they are there and biting year round. Just check the tides and make sure they are low, 2-4 ft. is awesome. If you are ever down here floating the Mac or something i'll take you out to some nice holes, they are a blast!

O
OnTheDrop
hobster;n610079 said:
From what i understand they are there and biting year round. Just check the tides and make sure they are low, 2-4 ft. is awesome. If you are ever down here floating the Mac or something i'll take you out to some nice holes, they are a blast!

sounds good buddy!

Come on up North this March if you can sneak away!