Fluorocarbon

D
Derek
I used the PLine floroclear and had on a steelhead and I let it go to much and when i realized it was heading for the only stick sticking up in the Pressure hole it was too late and it wraped around the stick I couldn't feel the fish anymore so I just yanked as hard as I could and my line came off and the fish was still there and got it landed 8LB test it was all nicked up but the fish never broke off. So i would say it works prety good for me anyways.

T
troutmasta
I use P-line floro. I like it for trout fishing, and most real clear water fishing. I've never had a problem with it. Its also great for bobber fishing.

F
FishAssassin
S
steelhead_stalkers
The extra loop through the eye and extra loops around the line really increase its strength. Easy to tie too, love it!

M
Mike123
I've never had a knot break.. I use an improved clinch knot for mono, flouro, and braid. Only thing that's ever broke is the line away from the knot.
One day I want to test a bunch of different lines on a scale with different knots.
I think that would be very interesting!

M
metalfisher76

It`s done on a show already, can`t remember the name of it. Steel stalker doe`s though, I think?

I gotta say I don`t have any issues w/ the improved clinch knot for eggs & plugs and stuff. The uni/fool knot is great for my fly fishin, which is 90% of what I do. You can loosen the knot just a touch(it slides up and down the leader) and this allows for more action from the fly. When ya set, it snugs up and the fight is on. Awesome knot!

Last edited:
M
Mike123

Yea I've seen that show! I just forgot the name too dang it.. :think:

Hmmm... I did not know that! Kinda how the Rapala knot works?

madasahab
I am thinking of starting to use fluorocarbon leaders...what's the skinny? Is it strong and abrasion resistant? More hook ups? Is it necessary for Kings as I am under the impression only steelies are leader shy? any thoughts on this?

brandon4455
it's less visible then mono but has less stretch, i choose to stick with mono because it's cheaper and still catches fish but i believe in places where the water is really clear or the fish are spooky flouro can be helpful. you do not need flouro for chinook at all. i use 10-12lb mono for them. steelies you can use mono for too but i know a lot of people that swear by flouro

Last edited:
madasahab

yeah, I think I will stick to mono and lighten the line for low clear water...

K
Kevinb5688
I love fluorocarbin. It has less stretch, and steelhead have hard mouths. When you set your hook on a long cast with mono it gives and sometimes you dont get a good hookset. Another good thing is 15lb fluoro is like 12 lb mono in diamater, so you can get away with stronger line.
The only time i use mono is when trolling. Give it a try, i switched 3 years ago and wont go back.

C
colbypearson
If you are going to try fluorocarbon I HIGHLY recommend Sunline super FC sniper and Seagaur Abraz-x.

R
rippin fish lips
steelies you can use mono for too but i know a lot of people that swear by flouro

Starting the summer of 2011 i switched over to flouro - 6lb for steelies... it feels like 8 and looks like 8lb test. And i can't even see it barely when it is in the water... When i switched, my hook ratio and catch ratio increased on all types of fish.

P
plumb2fish
For steelhead, I would say it's up to you...For Salmon, it's a waste of money I.M.O.

madasahab
thanks guys I will try it for steelies and see what happens,but for salmon I think I will stay with copoly or mono

R
rippin fish lips
thanks guys I will try it for steelies and see what happens,but for salmon I think I will stay with copoly or mono

I think you will dig it for steelies! but then again its up to you. I like the P-line flouroclear for steelies. It stretches and does get line abraisions quite a bit. but i have caught 2 steelies and 1 big arse redside with the leader having abrasions up and down it. When the line breaks... you will know, it sounds like a pole snapping! It's all up the you tho.

madasahab

yeah I have some of the p line 100% fc I am gonna try for steelies...for salmon I use P line cxx or maxima ug

K
Kevinb5688
can't go wrong with maxima green for salmon. Its a pretty cheap mono that works better than most 20$ lines.
But for steelies fluoro is way better.