Fluorocarbon

What do you guys think of the fluorocarbon for leaders? I have used Maxima Fluorocarbon a few years ago and had very bad experience with that. PLine and Seguar seemed to work a little better, but still not optimal. Lost so many fish over the years on fluorocarbon. Tried to be very careful with the knots, yet still had problems. Any suggestions?

I love me some fluoro...but your right the knots are a pain. What you need to do is find a knot that slips into form really easily. Palomar Knots. This is the best knot I found for this line. Anything with twists or through the hole and back again, steps results in a weakened knot due to the friction caused when cinching it down. To resolve some of these issue try spitting on the line. Your saliva will act like a lubricant and reduce some of this friction. It really does help and you'll enjoy stronger knots and far less break offs. I used fluoro in Michigan for fishing light line in heavy cover. I loved the stuff and you'd be surprised what 8 lb. fluoro line can do to a 5# bass.

Hope this helps.

When I tie on the water I`ll dip the line in the cold water, instead of my spittle. Although I do not use flouro. Hate memory. 8lb maxima has landed 30# chinook so I stick with it.

When I tie on the water I`ll dip the line in the cold water, instead of my spittle. Although I do not use flouro. Hate memory. 8lb maxima has landed 30# chinook so I stick with it.

Leaders are usually short, so memory should not be a factor. Also, I wouldn't use the fluoro for salmon, but steelhead in low clear water may call for it.

I love me some fluoro...but your right the knots are a pain. What you need to do is find a knot that slips into form really easily. Palomar Knots. This is the best knot I found for this line. Anything with twists or through the hole and back again, steps results in a weakened knot due to the friction caused when cinching it down. To resolve some of these issue try spitting on the line. Your saliva will act like a lubricant and reduce some of this friction. It really does help and you'll enjoy stronger knots and far less break offs. I used fluoro in Michigan for fishing light line in heavy cover. I loved the stuff and you'd be surprised what 8 lb. fluoro line can do to a 5# bass.

Hope this helps.

Leaders are usually short, so memory should not be a factor. Also, I wouldn't use the fluoro for salmon, but steelhead in low clear water may call for it.

I go to 6lb. I had a bad deal with the memory even on a 2ft leader. kinks, coiling my fly all over the place, breakage after a little rub that mono would have withstanded and NO stretch, I like a little give, been known to set a bit hard.

P-line flouro, I use it for most of my drift fishing leaders and have never had a problem with it:D

i didn't like it much one lil nick in it and seened like it was breaking to easy and i didn't want a steelhead run it across a rock and break off on it and that was with maxima I havent tried p-line or seaguar though would go with one of them befor the maxima i tried it 2 times to make sure it wasn't just one batch. gamma seemed to work ok though when i tried it for low water coho and I laned a few on it. I have seen normal 10lb maxima land a 25lb nook and was all chewed on and could see chunks taken out of it dont know what maxima did wrong with there flouro

Flouro doesn't stretch very much... mono stretches more therefore absorbs more shock... Fluoro has more abrasion resistance. Flouro sinks faster than mono.

Flouro doesn't stretch very much... mono stretches more therefore absorbs more shock... Fluoro has more abrasion resistance. Flouro sinks faster than mono.

The P-line I had DID NOT have more abrasion resistance. This was tested by me and a guide buddy in and out of the water, rocks, fingernail & teeth(to simulate fish teeth). When nicked the flouro pulles apart like pulled pork. That was only the one style, I just won`t go back. I`m sure some brands have there places, not for my winters though!

Last edited:
I agree. Every fluoro that I've used has WAY less abrasion resistance than the maxima UG mono that I generally use. I am really un impressed with every fluoro that I've tried. The #12 breaks like it's 6lb maxima.

The P-line I had DID NOT have more abrasion resistance. This was tested by me and a guide buddy in and out of the water, rocks, fingernail & teeth(to simulate fish teeth). When nicked the flouro pulles apart like pulled pork. That was only the one style, I just won`t go back. I`m sure some brands have there places, not for my winters though!

True... I hear that it has more abrasion resistance but I've noticed flouro breaks a lot easier due to this too... In the winter, (if the water isn't CLEAR) I use P-Line CXX for leaders.. that stuff is incredible... I have a hard time breaking 8lb test off when snagging up.. I've had to just cut my mainline..

Which P-Line flouro were you using?? Flouroclear, 100% Flourocarbon, or CFX?

Last edited:
True... I hear that it has more abrasion resistance but I've noticed flouro breaks a lot easier due to this too... In the winter, (if the water isn't CLEAR) I use P-Line CXX for leaders.. that stuff is incredible... I have a hard time breaking 8lb test off when snagging up.. I've had to just cut my mainline..

Which P-Line flouro were you using?? Flouroclear, 100% Flourocarbon, or CFX?

I believe I tried the cfx. Been a couple years now. I`m a Maxima UG guy to the end.

I actually have 10# Trilene flouro on my pole for steelies. I havent had any issues with it as of yet. And yeah i spit on my line for the knots.

Hope this helps.

or the rapala knot... here is a link to a tutorial
The Rapala Knot

Rio manufactures some great flourocarbon line but its expensive. I use it for tippet. I have tried p-line, maxima, and seaguar and didn't think they compared. Try Rio fluoroflex its great. Maxima was the worst I thought it just peeled apart when I put some heat and tension on it to straighten it out, Surprising cuz maxima mono is by far my favorite.

Top Bottom