Flossers

C
Carothers
If the fish wont bite, put on a 10 foot leader and make them bite right? No. I'm getting so sick of fishing lately when all I see is a bunch of guys with 9-12 foot 10 lb leaders claiming that the fish they catch are aggressively biting their corky's.:lol: I watched about 10 fish get hooked while fishing at leaburg yesterday and not one landed. Hmm... Because they were hooked outside of the mouth? I am about 80 % on my hook up to catch rate this year. I am constantly hearing guys talk about how they hooked 15 but only landed 1 or some crazy number. If the fish were hooked in the mouth you would land a lot more. this snagging technique is unsportsmanlike and not even fishing. These drunk hillbilly's should learn how to really fish. We NEED a leader restriction law. There is no reason you should need anything over 4-5 feet:pray:. The guys I fish with and I, routinely get fish on a 3.5 foot leader. Sorry for my first post being a rant but I really needed to get that off my chest. Is anyone else on my side?

Thanks

Last edited:
J
joem
im on your side. kinda. not a leader restriction just more honest people

B
bran_man
They actually did put a length restriction on leaders that just recently passed. However, I'm sure that they just don't have the manpower to actually consistently monitor it though... It's going to happen pretty much wherever you go sadly. Guess you just have to separate yourself from that....

B
bigdog
Well I see in my break that one topic hasn't stop coming up. Funny thing about what you said though is that you are using like 3-5 foot leader yourself but just a year ago that was the length ever one was calling a Flosser/Snagger rigging lol While many might agree with you on this subject it is a REALLY OLD one and never gets any one anywhere. Just move to a different spot of it bothers you that much and or if you see people landing and keeping snagged fish then call the number and report it. As for the corkie comment believe it or not fish and even more so Steelhead will hit a corkie or even a corkie and yarn set up. In the water it easy for them to mistake it for eggs or bugs when set up right. Good luck out there and have some fun safe times on the waters.

D
dtikey
yup agree but there is times when you just can't land a fish.I have had times were I go lots of lost fish in a row as well as bran man posted couple days ago.We are not flossers by intention but yes I have landed a flossed fish once or twice and probally many more then that but my leaders tend to be 24-36 inches and I wont fish for fish that I see if they wont bite in first couple cast because just irritates me when I watch them move from my offering couple inches to the side.Yes lots more flossers up Mckenzie this year but people seem to be letting everyone else around them ruin there fishing when they should just fish and not worry what you can't change.People dont care if you or someone else is pissed at them for flossing they are having a good time doing it and your day is going down hill watching.How much sence does that make.Best you can do is out fish them and go on about your day or if people are just going to get so pissed fish somewhere else because face it we are out numbered by the flossing and thats just the way it is.I do not abide by flossing but man everyone just keeps beating a dead horse so much and the peole on here that do floss are loving it because like I said they keep doing it and getting into fish while others are getting p oed and missing bites worrying about how long so and so leader is.Just my two cents on it and by no means meant to offened anyone.

hobster
hobster
Beating a dead horse is right. There seems to be a flossing thread every week, maybe there should just be one and everyone can vent in it. I'm 100% against it like i said before, but its kinda getting old.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
This topic has been discussed sooooo many times. :rolleyes: If y'all want to rake it over the coals again...so be it. BUT! :naughty: If it starts turning into another mindless argument, you know the kind...name calling, baseless accusations and other macho nonsense, I will shut it down and not hesitate to suspend any hot heads for a week long cooling off period. That being said, carry on...if you must. :doh:

C
ChezJfrey
bran_man said:
They actually did put a length restriction on leaders that just recently passed. However, I'm sure that they just don't have the manpower to actually consistently monitor it though... It's going to happen pretty much wherever you go sadly. Guess you just have to separate yourself from that....

Speaking of the leader length restriction, I'm wondering if I'd have to change my ways where that applies? I usually tie about an 8 foot leader, line-to-line, on my braid mainline, then attach a spoon. Given the wording I've seen, that may have to be shortened to remain legal where the leader restriction is regulated...which seems odd given that it essentially acts as a single, main line in my application.

N
Nocturnus
You are not alone...

You are not alone...

Carothers said:
If the fish wont bite, put on a 10 foot leader and make them bite right? No. I'm getting so sick of fishing lately when all I see is a bunch of guys with 9-12 foot 10 lb leaders claiming that the fish they catch are aggressively biting their corky's.:lol: I watched about 10 fish get hooked while fishing at leaburg yesterday and not one landed. Hmm... Because they were hooked outside of the mouth? I am about 80 % on my hook up to catch rate this year. I am constantly hearing guys talk about how they hooked 15 but only landed 1 or some crazy number. If the fish were hooked in the mouth you would land a lot more. this snagging technique is unsportsmanlike and not even fishing. These drunk hillbilly's should learn how to really fish. We NEED a leader restriction law. There is no reason you should need anything over 4-5 feet:pray:. The guys I fish with and I, routinely get fish on a 3.5 foot leader. Sorry for my first post being a rant but I really needed to get that off my chest. Is anyone else on my side?

Thanks

You are not alone in your displeasure concerning "flossers". In my experience (consisting of one fish on a corky), eighteen inchesof leader is all you really need if youare "fishing". The biggest problem I have with the practice is that it isn't fishing. I've ben fishing for two summers for a steelhead, and have yet to land a single fish. I don't fêl too bad about but I have yet to sink so low as to resort to snagging fish. Sometimes it just isn't your day, the grown up thing to do is to accept that fact and go home...not take fish you can't catch due to a lack of skill or luck...

-N

P
plumb2fish
Flossing is something your dentist tells you to do.....drifting a long leader into the open mouth of a holding fish is snagging.....

N
Nocturnus
plumb2fish said:
Flossing is something your dentist tells you to do.....drifting a long leader into the open mouth of a holding fish is snagging.....

You'll get no argument from me there. Call it what you want, it's all cheating as far as I am concerned.

-N

hobster
hobster
plumb2fish said:

Well put!

Y
Yomper
Tou and Me Both

Tou and Me Both

bran_man said:

Oregon has very little bank access and I have witnessed fights break out in 2 locations and I went on the Rogue last year to see the "flossers standing shoulder to shoulder many of them with California plates, as you said this is not fishing and i have actually discouraged visitors to Oregon with my factual input ie boats are banging into each other with no parking space in most places Its back to saltwater fishing for me.I have caught many salmon and striped bass in the 25lb range and you can't get fresher than the ocean I dont care for black salmon
I hear Alaska is as bad on the Kenai river

D
dtikey
Yomper said:
Oregon has very little bank access and I have witnessed fights break out in 2 locations and I went on the Rogue last year to see the "flossers standing shoulder to shoulder many of them with California plates, as you said this is not fishing and i have actually discouraged visitors to Oregon with my factual input ie boats are banging into each other with no parking space in most places Its back to saltwater fishing for me.I have caught many salmon and striped bass in the 25lb range and you can't get fresher than the ocean I dont care for black salmon
I hear Alaska is as bad on the Kenai river

Wrong...Oregon has great bank access and yes there is fights sometimes but im sure thier is fights in Cali also.Matter of fact I know thier is on the Klamath and Smith as I know guys that fish those.What 10% of fishermen do should not change your wholeout look on a state and a fishery because we need the revanew from outsiders going back into our ODFW so they will stop shutting programs down for Oregon fishermen.Also means that what you are saying I was correct in my earlier post about flossers not careing and the fishermen getting so upset that we lose.By you stopping fishing to only fish the ocean they win.Come back to the rivers and just fish better then them thats what gets to them believe me we do it.

N
n8r1
Yomper said:
Oregon has very little bank access

Oregon has very little bank access if you only want to walk 100 feet from your car to the river.

If you're willing to hike 15 minutes then Oregon has countless places where you can fish all day and not see a single person. I prefer the latter.

As far as flossing goes...do we really need another anti flossing thread?

R
rippin fish lips
Yomper said:
Oregon has very little bank access

Oregon has some of the best bank fishing access in the entire world man. I just banked/waded a 250yard stretch of river. i know multiple spots in this river where i can cross and still be legal. But yeah... what Dtikey has been saying... just go out and fish, we need to legit fishermen out there to show the flossers how to actully catch fish. We just gotta let them do their thing, and get more hung up then us. if u see a snagged fish bein kept then pull out your harvest card and dial the number on the back. I have done it 2 times this year for snagged fish bein kept.

W
whammond
Having lived in California for 21 years, and moving to Oregon a year ago, I will definitely say that fishing access in Oregon is much more available and much easier to find if your willing to walk a little ways from the parking lot. I lived in Siskiyou County which is an hour south of the Oregon border, and many of my friends would travel up to the Rogue to fish off the bank. The amount of rivers concentrated in one area i.e. Lane County is insane compared to fishing in California. There are rivers there few and far between with very limited access due to private property and a lot of problems with snow melt making hiking or wading up/down river very difficult. I mainly fished lakes and ponds there with an aluminum boat but as far as bank spots on the Lake go, good luck. It is however a lot different in Southern California. But I really believe that if you are willing to hike a little in Oregon and become familiar with different areas, and most of all get up EARLY, good bank spots are abundant.

B
bigdog
n8r1 said:
Oregon has very little bank access if you only want to walk 100 feet from your car to the river.

If you're willing to hike 15 minutes then Oregon has countless places where you can fish all day and not see a single person. I prefer the latter.

As far as flossing goes...do we really need another anti flossing thread?

Agree on everything. If you are not wanting to be around the "Flossers" then hike a little they won't be anywhere far from their cars, they are lazy. The only time you will find me close to my car when I'm fishing is when I go plunking and that is far a few times there, other then that I will hike anywhere from 20 min to a hour to get to the places I like away from everyone else most the time.

And as far as the "Flosser" threads I guess this is a topic that never goes away. Don't worry about others and what they are doing and just go out and enjoy yourself out there.

Reactions: n8r1
C
Carothers
I went up to leaburg, I think for the last time today. I just can't take it anymore. That place is getting a bit ridiculous, and I don't think everyone bragging about it and telling everyone where to go online has helped it out much. Even last year, it wasn't that bad, I have watched it turn into the snag-fest that Dexter is. I didn't even fish, i turned around and left. You can get up and beat everyone to your spot (on a weekday morning) and still when daylight rolls around, you have 4 snaggers in your lap casting over your line. I'm taking my fishing elsewhere. In 5 or 6 hours of total fishing I have hooked 4 steely's 2 over 30" and 11 lbs, throwing spoons in a new spot without seeing another angler. The spot is very hard to get to, like n8r1 said, you just have to be willing to hike a little bit.

D
dtikey
yes I agree lots of new faces out thier but as a fellow fisherman are you not supposed to help others out and introduce them into the sport of fishing and doing it right.Thats what keeps the sport going just like someone probally showed you and I was shown and have shown others including my kids and fellow OFFers.How did you find out about leaburg did someone tell you or show you.More then likely.Glad you got a produceing spot and getting into nice fish but wouldnt give up on tried and true spots because the reason everyones thier is they produce the most.