Float fishing with baitcaster

S
Steelheadreams
How do you like the St Croix? What kind of rod is it?

C
ChezJfrey

You want to hear real wackiness? I let the line slip through my looped forefinger/thumb, then to set the hook, I grab the line and lift the rod a la fly fishing style. When you feel a fish, quickly check to make sure no line is looped around a handle or knob, then slowly allow the fish some line and move hand toward the bail while still holding it, then flip bail closed. You need a little feel for what the fish is doing and how much tension and give to allow, but it works for me.

S
Steelheadreams
nice. thanks

M
mikeee2362
I find that the delay caused by setting the hook with an open bail on a spinning setup (float fishing) causes me to miss some strikes.

Very similar to the DrT. I also reel with my left hand. But I hold my bail in my left hand with my arms fully extended pointing my tip at my bobber. I constantly keep up the slack by mending the line upstream by lifting the line to the bobber and setting it down then repointing my tip at the bobber, and when I get a takedown, my hand is on the bail, so I can flip the bail with my hand already on the crank. Any slack I can take up by bending my arms and bringing the reel close to my chest as I set the hook. I don't miss many clean takedowns as I am watching my bobber at all times. The longer rod helps in not having to raise your hands way over your head to get a set, as well as ease in mending. I do keep a shorter 7 footer ready for casting hardware.

Hooked Up
I use a 10'6" baitcaster. My reel has centrifugal braking so letting out line doesn't seem to be a problem. I like the option of being able to thumb the spool to get the float right where I want it.

S
Sage_Flyguy
How do you like the St Croix? What kind of rod is it?

I love my Rod , its relatively short for a true floating setup. I have a Wild River 8'6. I am fairly new to float fishing but I bought myself a vise started tying up my own jigs for the first time and started floating my Jigs. I enjoy learning new tactics then applying them.

Hooked Up
How do you like the 10'6'' length? I fish with the Shimano Calcutta TE DC reel.

I like the length for mending line, wouldn't want to go any shorter.

G
Gtxjones
I have recently tried my curado baitcaster on a 13 ft rod ,w/;a bass assassin rigged TX weedless .
There is a a whole new world of jigging features and something is getting on the hook.
Thanks I will be using this setup for awhile.