Fishing the amazon canal

F
Fisher.King
I've seen several carp in the amazon canal while crossing the bike bridge near rexius and fred meyers. Until I started looking into bowfishing, the only way I've ever fished them is with #2 egg hooks and balls of the 89¢ a loaf bread on a heavy rod with 15 lb test... Needless to say, not many get away and it is a very short fight. All my carp-ing adventures happened this way up until I was fishing for trout on Thursday. The only rod I had was my new-ish trout rod. It is stiffer than my 4'8" ugly stik that I've been using for years and so when a carp passed me as I was sitting there, I thought I'd try for it so I grabbed the sandwich I brought and tore off some bread. The hook up wasn't out of the ordinary but the fight... that was the best fight with a fish I've had in YEARS.

But, I seem to be straying from the question I'd like answered... Can I catch and release carp from the Amazon Canal while in the city? I've lived on W 18th for a few years and I've never seen anyone fishing the canal. Just wanted some input before I'm trading a cop my fishing gear for a ticket.

F
Fisher.King
Thanks troutski, I looked all over the ODFW site, even with their search engine, and all I found is what the amazon canal is for and who owns it and what it's doing blah blah blah...and that Fern Ridge has 39 miles of coastline :shock:. I also found out why I barely ever see the dam open and letting water into the long tom. The city or the army corps of engineers or someone only opens up the gates at the end of summer, to drain fern ridge so it acts as a drainage ditch for the city in the winter time. That is the best time to be sitting there catching buckets of eating-size bullhead by the way,over the fence that overlooks the long tom side of the dam. I'll try the phone number tomorrow.

S
Stan-2007
RE: Fishing the amazon canal

The Canal is a tributary of the Long Tom River at Fern Ridge. So like other streams in the Willamette Zone, fishing is allowed (Pg. 49 of the 2009 fishing regs), but only with flies or artificial lures November 1st to April 24th. For all tributaries of the Long Tom, upstream and downstream from Fern Ridge, use of bait is allowed April 25th to October 31st(Pg. 52 of the 2009 fishing regs).

T
tbox
Be careful if you park near the greenhill rd. access. I used to go there till I got my car window busted out for no reason, (twice within 6 months on two different cars.). I guess vandalism around there goes unnoticed, the police told me "there was nothing they could do, it happens a lot in that area, get a car alarm"