Fishing Sunday(4/3)

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
im going fishing with my grandpa sunday early in the morning and was wondering what works for any species in the lake, but preferably bass or trout. i have 2 spin and 2 baitcast reels with 3 poles. also if anyone would be willing to fish with us and give us some tips that would be much appreciated.

Gunga
Gunga
I might be able to make on sunday with my uncle. for trout powerbait works well if your into it. but if your a lure guy like me rooster tails and other spinbaits work for trout. And for bass they havnt been to cooperative latley. but when they are biting they love crank baits jerkbaits and and spinner baits. they also love artificial lures like senko worms carolina rigged texas rigged or wakey rigged. they also love curly tail grubs and tubes. with the grubs you would also have a chance at catching perch sunfish and possibly a trout. Hope this info helps.

Tyler

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Thanks helps A LOT hope to see u there

Gunga
Gunga
you to. if im not there i hope catch lots.

N
Noahk
I’d suggest fishing around the dam, I like the south west side of the lake at the first parking area after you drive over the damn. There is a little cove you can fish at or walk a little bit north of the first parking area. If your grandpa isn’t real mobile you can fish right at the cove, there are even picnic tables you can sit at. The fish should be schooling in and out of that area now. I’d suggest green power eggs or green power bait off the bottom with about 24” of leader from your weight. Sparkles in the PB is good too. I always have the best of luck with cast masters for lures at Hagg. They’re also heavier than a lot of lures and will give you a bit more casting distance. 3/8 size I think is what I usually use. They also work really well for bass. For trout I would cast straight out and let the lure link all the way to the bottom. Then reel in about as slow as you can without snagging it on the bottom. Also, if you want to try and pick up some bass I’d suggest walking along the damn and casting parallel to the shore with the kaster master, maybe 10-15 feet out. They will patrol that area for smaller fish or crawdads. Slow retrieve but don’t let it sink to the bottom. It’s still a bit cold for bass though, but if it warms up over the next couple of days you might have some luck there. Good luck and let us know how you do!

troutdude
troutdude
Noahk said:
If your grandpa isn’t real mobile you can fish right at the cove, there are even picnic tables you can sit at.

Theyre also heavier than a lot of lures and will give you a bit more casting distance. 3/8 size I think is what I usually use. They also work really well for bass. For trout I would cast straight out and let the lure link all the way to the bottom. Then reel in about as slow as you can without snagging it on the bottom.

Good lookin' out for his granddad...very considerate!

For the Kastmaster deep n' slow thing...also try a large Brass colored Little Cleo spoon/wobbler the same way...BAM! Fish on!

Good luck,

TD

P.S. I caught more trout trolling w/ my Little Cleo @ Hagg last year, than any other technique. But, Kastmaster's also work well.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
thanks guys... still wouldnt mind someone for me and granpa to fish with

N
Noahk
troutdude said:

For the Kastmaster deep n' slow thing...also try a large Brass colored Little Cleo spoon/wobbler the same way...BAM! Fish on!

Good luck,

TD

P.S. I caught more trout trolling w/ my Little Cleo @ Hagg last year, than any other technique. But, Kastmaster's also work well.
Yeah I broke my hip five years ago and know how crappy it is to not be able to get around too well. I'll have to pick up a Little cleo one of these days and give it a shot.

I'd join you on Sunday short but I'm going to be chasing Springers! Maybe one of these days.

B
bmont
troutdude said:

Good luck,

TD

First post here so Hi everyone! I second that on the little Cleo.The little Cleo also works on the Wilson for steelhead and Cuttthroats:)

F
fisherofmen
last week was fishing with my grandson. were anchored on a point near shore. we had lots of bits on 1/8 oz pink leadhead jigs tipped with whole nightcrawlers. we casted out in about 15 feet of water on the bottom. air added to the crawlers. we should have had trailer hooks. we were able to hook only about 1/4 of the fish. grandson kept 4 12 inchers, so was happy for his supper.

S
Sh0rt f1sh3r
Hagg today report later

M
michigan_transplant
I was out there from about 1-6. only caught two little ones off boat ramp C in my float tube. had a lot of bites but nothing that would stick.

B
BankWalker
Fished by the dam nobody was catching anything went and worked the weeds and got two. The sheriff motored up in his boat right as i was getting bit and hopped out to check my license. A little nerve wracking having him watch me reel in and net the fish but i'm a nervous guy heh.

S
SmallFry
I fished about 150-200 yards from the damn, boat ramp c. (but no boat ramp at all) so maybe it was picnic area etc. *shrug*
we were there for about 6 hours and I ended up getting one bite during my last reel-in. I am new enough at fishing that I know I am doing things wrong. However, my only resource of information is a river fisherman, who assumes lakes have magical pools of fish that do nothing predictable, nor do anything but river trout have a reason to rest, or find shade, heat, food etc. In other words. I have a friend that fishes with me, who thinks he knows everything, but is willing to learn nothing. I can not learn from him. The issue is, I am the only person i know that has the free time, and the desire to waste an entire day with no fish.... Just in the hopes of one...
I used chartruse, rainbow, superman, and some gulp! additive one. nothing. Got a bite on an inflated worm about 25 feet from this nasty little cliff I was fishing off of.

B
BankWalker
It's tough when you have to teach yourself everything before i got serious about four years ago all i knew was drifting worms in tiny streams. You have the right mindset because you can tell there is something else going on and want to learn. When i first get to a spot i will throw a small spinner or a spoon a few times to see if there are any active fish then I settle in with the power bait. I got my fish on a chartuse power egg they stay on way easier, i used to hate power bait before i discovered the eggs(the eagleclaw power eggs work very well too). Chartuse and pink seem to be the best for me. If you can find structure like stumps, thin weed beds or big rocks fish hide here to feel safe and ambush food. One of the things that usually helps me turn a skunked day into atleast a few fish is if I don't get bit and I don't see anyone else catching fish for any longer then 2 hours it's time to move around the lake some. The weather was weird sunday colder then the last couple of days witch can make fish not want to bite. I think the sheriff coming in his boat got one of my fish moving and biting.

N
Noahk
SmallFry said:
I fished about 150-200 yards from the damn, boat ramp c. (but no boat ramp at all) so maybe it was picnic area etc. *shrug*
we were there for about 6 hours and I ended up getting one bite during my last reel-in. I am new enough at fishing that I know I am doing things wrong. However, my only resource of information is a river fisherman, who assumes lakes have magical pools of fish that do nothing predictable, nor do anything but river trout have a reason to rest, or find shade, heat, food etc. In other words. I have a friend that fishes with me, who thinks he knows everything, but is willing to learn nothing. I can not learn from him. The issue is, I am the only person i know that has the free time, and the desire to waste an entire day with no fish.... Just in the hopes of one...
I used chartruse, rainbow, superman, and some gulp! additive one. nothing. Got a bite on an inflated worm about 25 feet from this nasty little cliff I was fishing off of.
I think you weren’t actually at boat ramp C. Once you go over the damn and come to the first picnic area you drive about 5 miles up the road until you see the sign for the boat ramp. Boat ramp C is usually a pretty good spot, especially within 1-10 days of when they stocked. The last time I was at hagg, a couple of weeks ago, the water was really high and it made fishing harder than usual. Read up in this section and you’ll come across plenty of spots and advice. My advice is to concentrate on the boat ramp C area within 1-10 days of when they stock. They’re scheduled to drop 12,000 fish this week so the fishing should be good there for the next couple of weeks, assuming the water isn’t too muddy. The longer the fish are there the further they venture out. After a couple of weeks I like the fishing around the dam, usually the first parking area just over the damn is good, which is where I think you were. The fish will school into that cove but really there are a number of good spots in that area. Bait wise you’re on the right track. I prefer chartreuse PB or power eggs but really the fish aren’t that picky. How much leader are you using? Around 24 inches usually works well for me.

J
J4excellence
Three of us tried Boat Ramp C yesterday from about 2 to dark. First of all there were a lot of people fishing around the boat ramp and from the pier. We didn't see anyone else catch any fish, nor did we hear of anyone else getting bites all the time we were there. We were primarily using a white poweregg with garlic scented yellow powerbait, but I tried worms, both from a bobber and off the bottom as well as several spinners. Sum total we each had one bite (all on the powerbait), one of which yielded a 9 inch trout. Each of the bites we had was pretty aggressive, which suggested to me the fish were biting, but there just didn't seem to be very many fish around.

N
noladude
Did make it out on Sunday for the first time this year. My son and I set up first off the point by Ramp C, but didn't get any action there with rooster tails or kastmasters. We then paddled (we're easy to spot in our red canoe) over to the mouth of Sain Creek opposite the picnic area and switched to rainbow power bait (him) and nightcrawlers (me). Actually got onto some fish here in about 15 feet of water (water temp was 48). Lots of pretty solid bites, but never had one pick it up and really take it. We were into this for about an hour, but no fish on the line. This is just our second year working the lake for trout (figured out the crappie last summer), so we still have some learning to do. I got more bites on the worm than he did on the PB, but I think my leader is too short. Used a 1/8 oz bullet sinker with about an 8" leader. From what I'm reading, 24" would probably be better. Based on how we were rigged and what we were using, I assume that we were on top of some trout. Hopefully we'll make it back out Friday after school or on Saturday. I like that spot, as it has a nice shelf that is in the 12-15' range, then drops off really steeply to about 30', so there's an easy way for the fish to move up and down the water column.

troutdude
troutdude
noladude said:
I like that spot, as it has a nice shelf that is in the 12-15' range, then drops off really steeply to about 30', so there's an easy way for the fish to move up and down the water column.

You found the perfect spot, as that is the depth that the trout have been holding in recently. Plus, after they find food, they can slip back into the depths at will.

Using a longer leader is a good idea. If you already don't know this...try threading the worm on with it's tail up the line; and it's head on or trailing just behind the hook. Predators (like fish) typically ambush their prey by attacking the head. Most peeps leave the tail by the hook, and miss most of the bites. Try it the other way, and I think that you'll be nicely surprised.

N
njbinkers
troutdude said:
You found the perfect spot, as that is the depth that the trout have been holding in recently. Plus, after they find food, they can slip back into the depths at will.

Using a longer leader is a good idea. If you already don't know this...try threading the worm on with it's tail up the line; and it's head on or trailing just behind the hook. Predators (like fish) typically ambush their prey by attacking the head. Most peeps leave the tail by the hook, and miss most of the bites. Try it the other way, and I think that you'll be nicely surprised.

i like this idea....gonna try that