Fishing Near Milwaukie/Oregon City

C
cacklewack
Hey all,

I've been trolling here a bit as I'm looking to get back into fishing after a 10 year hiatus or so. :lol: I spent most of my childhood/teen years spin and fly fishing on Mount Hood lakes and streams. Today I'm married and haven't really fished for years and am looking to get my wife converted so that we can begin fishing regularly together!

While stocked fish are fun, I do quite enjoy fishing for wily natives in pristine/beautiful/unpopulated areas. We'd like to go somewhere preferably within 45 minutes of our house in the Milwaukie/Oregon City area. If you were me, where would you take your wife who's never really fished to get her "hooked" on the sport? I'm leaning toward lake fishing somewhere toward Mount Hood (that's accessible).

Cheers,
Matt

Reactions: OnTheFly
B
beaverfan
They stock most of the lakes up by Mt. Hood, there's some native fish in a lot of them but mostly hatchery fish. I would recommend giving Harriet Lake a go. It's somewhat tough for bank access, there's some but it's sure not "ideal" from shore. But it has a real nice mix of hatchery and native fish. It was recently stocked so your wife can get hooked on hatchery Rainbows while you go for some of Brown's they got in there. Keep in mind that while the regs say you can keep 5 trout of there a day, please don't go out and keep 5 Brown Trout. They don't get stocked and they get a fair deal of pressure. Harriet is on the Oak Grove Fork of the Clackamas.

C
capblack
Timothy is in that area as well. I have never personally fished it, but I know its quite popular, maybe worth a try. Good luck, and welcome to the forum. Brian

B
beaverfan
Ya I would have mentioned Timothy but it's not accessible yet. Once it warms up and that 5 feet of snow they got a couple weeks ago melts it would be a great option. Timothy is one of my favorite lakes. I can never catch squat from shore though.

C
cacklewack
Thanks for the responses, folks! I spent a great deal of time on Timothy and Harriet growing up, so I'm certainly keen on checking them out again. Anyone else have any ideas on some decent spots close to Oregon City?

Cheers,
Matt