Fishing line questions

N
normanbeats
Ok I'm new to this, 2nd time Salmon fishing, first time without someone who knows what they are doing. Tell me if any of these solutions will work for bobber fishing spawn sacks and casting spinners on my low profile reel. If you have any suggestions please let me know.
50lb braid to 20lb leader, 50lb braid to 15lb leader,
for plunking on a spinning reel
20 lb mono mainline to 15lb leader or 15lb mainline to 20lb leader, or 20 to 20.
If you can think of a better combo let me know.

R
RunWithSasquatch
I'd probably bump up to at least 25-30lb leaders. The fish really arent line shy. You can land the fish on 15-20lb leaders, but you run the risk of breaking them off because there teeth are so tall and pointy, when they make turns with the line in there mouth often it gets raked over there teeth, and thats what usually cuases them to break off.

PS- Welcome to the forum.

R
rippin fish lips
I like to use 30 pound main line with a 25 pound leader. If i can't get any hits with the 25 pound leader, i go down to 20 and loosin the drag up a little bit.

N
normanbeats
one more thing... 9' 12-25lb im7 mh fast tip should be fine right?

R
RunWithSasquatch
Should do everything you want it to do for them fall fish.

J
jawjacker
Don't use anything lighter than 20lb mono or florocarbon leader because braid has no stretch and it will snap anything lighter. More than likely on the hook set. I used 50lb braid with a 20lb fluorocarbon leader for bass fishing this season and it proved to be the lightest leader I could get away with using and still have confidence to swing a solid hook set which is what Im sure your going to try and do. For salmon I use 30 & 25lb. leaders for the same reason RunWithSasquatch stated earlier. Good luck can't wait to see your hawg shots.

N
normanbeats
thank you

troutdude
troutdude
RunWithSasquatch said:
I'd probably bump up to at least 25-30lb leaders. The fish really arent line shy. You can land the fish on 15-20lb leaders, but you run the risk of breaking them off because there teeth are so tall and pointy, when they make turns with the line in there mouth often it gets raked over there teeth, and thats what usually cuases them to break off.

PS- Welcome to the forum.

Yep. Right on the money.

Good luck, and welcome to OFF.