Fishing in the Abiqua

S
SgtFish
Not sure if this is the correct area to put this thread but, has anybody done any fishing in the Abiqua? I have seen small fish there years ago but do not know if there are any sizable fish to catch.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Abi-what?

Abi-what?

SgtFish said:
Not sure if this is the correct area to put this thread but, has anybody done any fishing in the Abiqua? I have seen small fish there years ago but do not know if there are any sizable fish to catch.

SgtFish;
Abiqua? :confused: Where & what is it? What kinds of fish are there? I've obviously never heard of it. :think: Enlighten me my friend. :) Be safe.
Barb

C
capblack
I grew up in silverton only a few miles from the abiqua, and my dad and I used to fish it for steelhead. However the runs of any migrating fish to any river or stream that runs into the pudding is now nearly nonexistant, because of the gillnets that were used illegally in the pudding. Im sure theres trout in there though.

F
fishy4
are there any places near silverton that have public access to the creek? ive been looking forever and can't seem to find anything

C
capblack
public access

public access

yehh, theres the bridge on mt angel hwy, the bridge on old mt angel hwy, the bridge on the road to monitor, and theres lots of access along the rd after north and south abiqua rd come together, if you keep going the rd turns to gravel, and theres lots of good places to fish up there, and when you come to the gate, you can hike in to abiqua falls, thats a cool place, unless you know the way, you can go up crooked finger rd and get a little closer. the butte creek falls are also up there and theres a lot of native cutthroat trout in the creeks up there

F
fishy4
the bridge on mt angel highway says no tresspassing down by the creek with an orange sign. or maybe i am wrong will have to do more research thank you

F
fishy4
so if i was to pull over by the bridge on the highway that connects mt angel and silverton no police will stop and ticket me? haha sorry just trying to learn

D
Dan Feller
I don't know about the Mount Angel Highway bridge, but there is quite a bit of easy access further up. Take North Abiqua Road off Cascade Highway (213) until you get to the Steel Grate Bridge (maybe 5 miles?). You can fish around the bridge, there is also a lot of easy public access along the left side of the road after the bridge.