Fishing in a thunderstorm

brandon4455
brandon4455
Went out for about 3-4 hours today afterschool water was up tiny bit, flows were definitely inscreased and the water was slightly murky. i tried and tried..missed 5 bites before even hooking a fish, but still lost it.. then, i heard thunder in the distance. didn't think much of it at first but then it started to pour down rain and the thinder got louder. didn't bother me much since ive seen much worse in the midwest. so i tried the same spot for a few more minutes with no luck, hopped on the bike and went down further to an area i havent fished since opening day and got all 3 fish there. missed 4 strikes includng one in about a foot of water it was pretty sweet watching the fish come out from behind a rock and bite my fly,, but i somehow missed him :lol: also lost one more i had hooked for a few seconds. my reel ended up breaking after i caught the 3rd and biggest fish of the day, some pins fell out and the reel didn't fit together right, and wouldnt turn.. it was screwing up the whole trip but i didn't think anything of it at first. my grandpa saved me and pitched 14 bucks to help me get a new one. :cool: i wont be fishing the creek for a while now, ill be letting the fish recover from sore lip disease :lol:

• rich hole.jpg
  • cutty on rubber legged prince.jpg
  • cutty.jpg
  • rock hole.jpg
  • rainbow prince in cutty's mouth.jpg
  • litte cutty.jpg
T
TTFishon
Nice! Looks like you got the fly angling down. :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
i wouldn't call myself a pro but im getting better. thanks ted :)

B
bigsteel
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

T
troutramp
Way to stick it out in the weather. I am sure those fish are sore lipped today, and talking funny too.

R
rippin fish lips
hey brandon... nice lil fishies! gotta love catchin the lil ones in small water! :D

brandon4455
brandon4455
thanks everyone. they sure put up a fight for their size. the one im holding with both hands took line. there are big fish there, just have to work for them :lol:

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
We waited out this T-storm once when we were in Montana on the Big Hole, and after that had passed through the Greyling fishing was just off the hook! Similar things have happened on the Upper Deschutes as well. Nice pics!!! :)

brandon4455
brandon4455
FlyBum said:
We waited out this T-storm once when we were in Montana on the Big Hole, and after that had passed through the Greyling fishing was just off the hook! Similar things have happened on the Upper Deschutes as well. Nice pics!!! :)

it wasn't the worst thunderstorm ever, and i knew if wouldnt last long so i said what the heck and kept fishing. payed off for me. never knew there were grayling in montana..they are beautiful fish though thats for sure. thanks

S
Sinkline
Awsome photos Brandon!

Way to put that new fly rod to use! You'll have it worn out by Fall at the rate you are going! :cool:

I
I <3 <><
Right on man nice fish!

F
FlyBum
brandon4455 said:
never knew there were grayling in montana..they are beautiful fish though thats for sure. thanks

The Ever elusive upper Big Hole Grayling from MT
Cheers :)
08611003.jpg08621002.jpg08631001.jpg

brandon4455
brandon4455
absoluetly beautiful fish. thanks for sharing :D