Fishing for crappie black/white

troutdude
troutdude
Hey, no prob. Maybe I would feel similar, if I'd fished any other states.

This is an "equal opportunity" forum. ;)

X
X24
It's all good! We all care about fishing and healthy practices that's what matters.
On the crappie note, Brownsmeade and the sloughs around them hold some monster crappie and bluegills.

troutdude
troutdude
X24 said:
It's all good! We all care about fishing and healthy practices that's what matters.
On the crappie note, Brownsmeade and the sloughs around them hold some monster crappie and bluegills.

Well said.

Where is Brownsmeade? That sounds intriguing!

X
X24
It's outside of Astoria of Rout 30 heading east. You'll need a boat of some sort unless you fish from the bridge. I caught a blue gill last summer that had to be close to a pound. It was by far the biggest blue gill I've ever caught. :)

Irishrover
Irishrover
Since this thread has been throughly hijacked I guess I can jump in. :lol:

" Oregon needs to realize that the Legendary Salmon runs will never come back. That was a long time ago and the oceans have changed and are being depleted at a very rapid rate. Oregon needs to embrace other fishing."

X24 I'm not believing the salmon are doomed not for a moment. I just had the best year of Salmon fishing I have had in a while over a million coho returned last year. I fished out of Newport and the fishing was superb! I live near the Sandy River and have fished it since the early 60s. That river has made a great come back with with winter/summer steelhead, along with coho and chinook salmon. In the mid 1990s you may have convinced me the salmon were on their way out, but since then they have made major gains.

If you are not into salmon or trout there are some good opportunities for perch, bass crappie and bule gill all over this state. Prineville Reservior has a ton of bass, crappie and cat fish. The John Day is loaded with bass. Try Phillips reservior for perch. A fantastic place for both crappie and cat fish is Emigrant lake. Someone illegaly introduced bass into Crane Prairie Reservior. The state left them there and now there is a bass fishery there. If you are into Walleye the mid Columbia up around Biggs and Rufus has some monsters up there. I'm not trying to hammer you just trying to let you know there are other fisheries out there and this state is big enough to support both.

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Ummm...if I did any hijacking, it was totally unintended. Sorry if I did. I just didn't realize it.

Irishrover
Irishrover
troutdude said:
Ummm...if I did any hijacking, it was totally unintended. Sorry if I did. I just didn't realize it.

No you didn't hijack anything. You were trying to help someone out and maybe keep them from getting a ticket for fishing with live bait. If someone unknowingly post some advise that could get someone else into some trouble the honorable thing to to is to right the error and that's what you did.

Kenjimua.....If you and your Dad ever get a chance to hit Prineville Reservior go over by the log booms the are around the marinia. Fish the out side of the log booms with jig you'll kill 'em. I use one of those clear green plastic grubbs on a hook with split shot for weight and it seems to do the trick.

Last edited:
X
X24
Didn't mean to hijack it either ;)
Thanks for the information Irishrover. Nice pics btw.
I've pulled some nice perch outta lake Cullaby.

Last edited:
Irishrover
Irishrover
I'll have to keep Brownsmeade in mind. I'm sure I go right by it on the way to Astoria. That's a good size bluegill!

T
Thuggin4Life
Gonna half to keep the hijack alive. Don't see why the bait thing is so strict. You sould be able to catch something from a body of water and use it in that body of water. Andy those are some nice kokes care to share some info on them.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Andy are you pulling my leg:lol: or just making fun of my coho! Caught those out of Newport in the ocean. :lol: