Fish jumping out of the water is it Carp?

J
joro79
Hey guys,
Last year I was fishing in Bethany Pond for stocked trout and there were some very big fish jumping out of the water. Some people said it is Bass but I think it is Carp. I haven't catch any Carp there but I saw something similar when fishing at Rooster Rock Park and on the Multnomah channel.
Any ideas what fish it might be, I know for sure that the carp is jumping to clean its gills or something like that, is there any other fish that you know to do that?

It's almost certainly carp. I don't remember the details but it's all a part of their mating cycle.

Put some yellow corn on your sliding sinker setup, instead of Powerbait- carp love it- makes for great fun on a trout rod!

Or did you mean these kind of jumping carp??

Last edited:
Yeah carp love corn. Especially fresh corn.
I am talking about the common carp, the one that jumps in boats I think is the asian carp. Once the weather warms up I am planning to make a trip to the Roster Rock State Park and try my luck with some corn.

Carp are fun to catch. I guess. I've only caught one, by accident, fly fishing a slough on the Willamette.
I made one cast to a log and got hit, pulled back nothing but one huge scale. I was so charged at the size of the thing I didn't stop to think what it was. All I was seeing was huge scale=huge fish. Made a another cast and wham fish on. 10 mins or so later on a 5 wt with 8# tippet I pulled her in. Probably 20-25 inches and just fat what a BLAST!! I was getting arm pump by time I landed it hahahI have been trying to repeat for the last 2 years and nothing lol. Fun stuff though. They are wily!!

I caught one on an Ultra light rod. I thought I had caught a fantastic Bass, but nay just a Carp. I would do it again. They shake REAL hard.

hilarious!

hilarious!

Great link to those videos, those fish are nuts! I laughed so hard seeing the big guy covering his head to avoid getting hit.

I have seen huge carp jump in the Long Tom R. just below the ditch.

Last edited:
blue lake state park has tons of carp.... mostly 5 to 10 pounders. fish at the dock with corns and youll see that rod bend. this guy kills them there. i dont know how but it seems that he is the only one that can catch them....

Tualatin river has tons of carpy fish! :lol: Get it? Get it?

its definatley the common carp, they jump as part of their mating ritual, and also to clean their gills i believe :think:

Bassman, how crowded does the blue lake dock get? I assume it's a mad house when it's been stocked with trout but what about this time of the year?

It's been a while since I've hooked one and I definitely miss the pull of a big-ole carp.

Back
Top Bottom