First Rogue springer of 2012

E
eat, sleep, fish
74487929285913_100001741250049_627936_1202438434_n.jpg

B
bran_man
Holy crap that fish is so fresh/ bright!!! Nice fish!

H
hanapaa808
what a fatty!

F
Finneus Polebender
Dang I know you said Rogue, looks like one of them football shaped hogs they catch on the Umpqua , Nice fish!

B
BlackBass
That right there is a dandy fish !

H
Hawk
That's a reel Beauty bro...

:lol::lol::lol:

:clap::clap::clap:

:cool::cool:

E
eugene1
Awesome, I wonder if it was caught upriver or in tidewater.

what a slab.

jamisonace
jamisonace
I'm guessing tidewater. I bet they are still going in and out with the tide.

eugene1 said:

what a slab.

E
eugene1
I think you're right. I just found out that there is a troll fishery on the Umpqua tidewater for springers using bait.

Sounds like a blast to get them before they head upriver.

E
eat, sleep, fish
eugene1 said:

what a slab.

I don't know any of the details yet, but highly unlikely that it was caught in tidewater. There isn't really any tidewater fishery for springers since they shoot upriver, and don't mill around like the fall salmon. Everyone just anchors up and form hog lines, intercepting them in the travel lanes.

B
Boombollie
eat said:
I don't know any of the details yet, but highly unlikely that it was caught in tidewater. There isn't really any tidewater fishery for springers since they shoot upriver, and don't mill around like the fall salmon. Everyone just anchors up and form hog lines, intercepting them in the travel lanes.
Same techniques as with their fall kin?

E
eat, sleep, fish
Boombollie said:

Yeah basically just sitting on anchor with a Rogue Bait Rig. Some guys use spinners or Brad's cut plug baits as well.

M
Mad dog
Boombollie said:

Nobody fishes the Rogue bay for springers. The action starts at John's hole.

Wow....it's only the 3rd week of February to boot!!! Maybe the springer run will be good this year!

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:
I just found out that there is a troll fishery on the Umpqua tidewater for springers using bait.

Sounds like a blast to get them before they head upriver.

Barely, but people do troll it real early. Most people head to the river in there sleds and form that hog line. It is one crazy zoo. We troll it probably 1-2 times a year cuz we have a fiber glass boat. lol You can see the fish on radar but its hard to catch anything. That fish was caught up river.

Reactions: eugene1
E
eugene1
rippin fish lips said:
Barely, but people do troll it real early. Most people head to the river in there sleds and form that hog line. It is one crazy zoo. We troll it probably 1-2 times a year cuz we have a fiber glass boat. lol You can see the fish on radar but its hard to catch anything. That fish was caught up river.

Thanks for the heads up. Did you guys ever catch any down there in the spring? I saw a site online about trolling for them in tidewater on the Umpqua, but it is now down.

Were there many boats around?

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:
Thanks for the heads up. Did you guys ever catch any down there in the spring? I saw a site online about trolling for them in tidewater on the Umpqua, but it is now down.

Were there many boats around?

No we havent caught anything doin that, We were the only boat on the river in tide water. Everyone else was in the scottsburg area. about 50 boats in a 1000 years stretch. And the seals in the tide water this time of year there are just insane!! You go close to an inside corner to troll it and 100s of seals come in the water after you, then u dotn see them at all

E
eugene1
You've dashed my dreams, Rippin!

I guess I'll have to head up the river a ways. I saw a pic of a dude trolling near 101 in reedsport for springers and he had a nice fish. I guess it is not impossible, but just rare. He used cut plug herring as I recall.

Thanks again bro,

E
eugene1
Anybody else notice that 3rd pelvic fin on this fish? I wonder if it's just the camera or a mutant fish?

R
rippin fish lips
eugene1 said:
You've dashed my dreams, Rippin!

I saw a pic of a dude trolling near 101 in reedsport for springers and he had a nice fish. I guess it is not impossible, but just rare. He used cut plug herring as I recall.

Thanks again bro,

That would be the best area to troll, It is very possibly to launch a 22 foot fiberclass sea ray in the scotsberg area, but it is very scary/sketchy lookin.

T
tidewater10
it was just a camera flash, i took the pic and netted the fish
we landed the fish Monday, Feb 20 about 1030 am
fishing a couple steelie plugs and an anchovie on the ooutside rod, one bite, 1 hatchery springer

Last edited: