First Gila trout season open in Arizon

H
halibuthitman
Well for all you grand slam seekers, here it is. Arizona will be having its first ever legal Gila ( hee-la ) trout season in its history, Frye Mesa reservoir will open allowing the intentional targeting of a trout that was suspected to be wiped out over 75 years ago, see hatchery programs can work, from a handful of trout they have created a native fishable resource... place clapping hands here... it also will be cool thatin that location a fisher can target 5 species of wild trout, Gila, Rainbow, Brown, Apache, and Brookies ( i know, some are really char ) what a great day of fishing that will be... who's in with me.. Im buying my Arizona license on line as soon as I get off... oFF:D

T
troutramp
]funny you should mention it, I am in AZ now, Finally recieved placement into a nursing program I have been waiting for. anyway we are excited to get to fish for Gila trout, although New Mexico has had a season for quite some time. when buying the AZ license keep in mind there is a non resident license that is a combo that includes your trout stamp for 63 dollars. that includes the state and urban and trout stamp. if you buy those seperatly as a non resident you get hosed.

Last edited:
H
halibuthitman
hmm, thats interesting, I was in the understanding that the two watersheds they lived in in New Mexico where closed to fishing.. and that bums me out because I was just down there Elk not getting a few months ago... bummer for me I guess, I have always dreamed of landing a Gila and an Apache trout.. rare opportunitys- send me a picture of one!

T
troutramp
I would post some but posting on here has been a pain for me I could email some, I have not caught any gilas yet but plenty of Apache trout, i have caught gila rainbow hybrids.

T
troutramp
PAGE 10-11 in the new Mexico fishing regs, there are three or so creeks that have gilas they opened them up about three years ago. I have fished in the whitewater creek area some of those fish are rumored to have some gila genes, I have hiked to the head waters of willow creek pretty country over there.

N
nwkiller
please post pic...PPP

Top Bottom