Finally some good count numbers!

B
bran_man
So checked the willamette falls fish counts and finally some good numbers. Chinook were 109 a few days agoand yesterday it jumped up to 764!!! That's a big woohoo!!! Steelhead numbers getting better too! Last few days were mid sixties and yesterday was 126 first day to break the hundreds. It's finally going to start getting good/ more consistent anytime now. Super stoked.

S
skunk
Yeah, that's more like it.

S
SantiamDrifter
Just like the 06' season. We still ended up with good numbers that year too. Our run's late, but fishing will still be good this year.

brandon4455
brandon4455
woohoo! i need to get stocked on gear.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
Holy crap!!!!

F
fishyden
Wow and to think I was excited about the 109. Very nice ...

F
fishyden
Wonder how long it takes them to get to the eugene area from the falls?

S
SantiamDrifter
Well usually 2 weeks to reach the lower Santiam's. I would take a guess as about 3 weeks, depending on water flow.

B
bran_man
SantiamDrifter said:
Well usually 2 weeks to reach the lower Santiam's. I would take a guess as about 3 weeks, depending on water flow.

There are a couple of pretty experienced angles.at my work that I talk to at my work all the time and they say that they usually average 10 or 15 miles a day (give or take obviously when considering all the conditions/factors) so I would think 2 weeks is about the time. I just hope the numbers stay high like that! Would be a great thing!

B
bran_man
bran_man said:
There are a couple of pretty experienced angles.at my work that I talk to at my work all the time and they say that they usually average 10 or 15 miles a day (give or take obviously when considering all the conditions/factors) so I would think 2 weeks is about the time. I just hope the numbers stay high like that! Would be a great thing!

Whoops that first sentence doesn't make any sense! Ha ha sorry but I'm sure you can all still understand what I meant

M
markasd
NICE!! Gonna be hittin' the willy in the Salem area in the next few weeks!!

C_Run
C_Run
I've seen them swim by in the shallow water a number of times while I have been plunking and they always seem to be going about as fast as I would stroll down a sidewalk. Do any of you experts on fish facts know if they travel 24/7 or do they take a break now and then? I try to amuse myself sometimes by trying to figure the number of fish per minute going by when the numbers get high but never know if they go day and night. It breaks up the boredom of that style of fishing. Guess it's time to pick up some prawns.

S
SantiamDrifter
How fast they move depends on the water condition. Normal to high water they will move threw pretty quick, but if its really high they will hold up and rest. Low water they will slow down too, and hold in the deeper holes with more oxygen. In smaller river systems, fish will even go back down river in really low water.

They can travel over 10 miles a day, but that doesn't mean they are going to. They may only travel 5. Again it depends on water conditions. No matter the water conditions tho, fish will have to rest at some point. Those spots they rest are the spots we try and fish. If there's a really long strecth of river without any real holding water for the fish, they will most likely keep moving until they find that spot to rest.

GraphiteZen
GraphiteZen
bran_man said:
Whoops that first sentence doesn't make any sense! Ha ha sorry but I'm sure you can all still understand what I meant

You can edit your own content: Down along the bottom of your posting area there should be a button that says "Edit Post".