Filet knife sharpener ?

P
PstMactear
What's a good filet knife sharpener?

Irishrover
Irishrover
Ken Onion Work Sharp. Does a great job on filet knives.

Reactions: Fred and Snopro
jamisonace
jamisonace
Can it be mounted? I like two hands on my knife when I'm sharpening and this sharpener looks like it has to be held.

Irishrover
Irishrover
No need to mount it. I just set it on a cutting board or if the wife isn't around, I put it on the granite countertop. It stays put and you can one hand it or use two. I used to take it down to the boat and do other guys knives for them. Seriously I've tried a lot of sharpeners over the years, and this is the only one that get the knives real sharp for me.

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Irishrover said:
No need to mount it. I just set it on a cutting board or if the wife isn't around, I put it on the granite countertop. It stays put and you can one hand it or use two. I used to take it down to the boat and do other guys knives for them. Seriously I've tried a lot of sharpeners over the years, and this is the only one that get the knives real sharp for me.
I'm sold. I've been sharpening on stones for a lot of years but I know there are quicker options.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I'll sharpen a pile of knives at a time. I use three belts. I work the pile through the first belt then switch to the second, work the pile again then switch to the third belt. To be sharp the knife has to slice through a sheet of paper with ease. A sharp knife works wonders when you start to work on the filet table. It can be hard on the fingers though. :)

Reactions: jamisonace and Snopro
jamisonace
jamisonace
Irishrover said:
I'll sharpen a pile of knives at a time. I use three belts. I work the pile through the first belt then switch to the second, work the pile again then switch to the third belt. To be sharp the knife has to slice through a sheet of paper with ease. A sharp knife works wonders when you start to work on the filet table. It can be hard on the fingers though. :)
I really love sharpening knives. I find the process to be therapeutic and it's a good way to make good use of time during meaningless Zoom meetings. I refer to my collection of filet and boning knives as my OJ Simpson starter kit and my knives are always sharp for a good slice and dice.

If you don't already, check out your local thrift stores for knives and you'll find some gems that were discarded because they got dull. 20 minutes on the stone and they're better than new.

Irishrover
Irishrover
I picked up a bone handle J.A. Henckels carving set for $25 bucks. Yes, you sure can get some deals. I agree sharpening knives is therapeutic I love it when I can bring a dull knife back to a state of sharpness.

Reactions: jamisonace