Favorite high mountain lake

L
Larry Massengale
Mt.Lakes

Mt.Lakes

rainbowfisherman said:
I was just wondering what your favorite high mountain lakes to fish are? I want to try a couple out next year.

Thanks
-Rainbowfisherman

Although I haven't fished it in years. Pansy Lake in the lake of the woods area was a blast. Is stocked via air with brookies. when the hatch comes on in the evening the lake comes alive. Made 10 casts caught 8 fish.
It is an easy one mile hike but well worth it.

G
gordo
If you're willing to drive out a while and camp a few nights, most all of the lakes in the Lakes Basin in the Eagle Cap Wilderness are pretty nice... I caught my fair share there this summer. Most were not keepers, but one was a real nice one.
Also, this one is a little further off the beaten path, but Harriet Lake about an hour east of Medford is supposedly great as well. It also makes for a beautiful backpack trip. I went up there and got skunked :( but I talked to some people who had the same same luck as I did that day, but they told me they were pulling them out left and right just the day before - more than they could eat. I guess I was a day late on that one

J
joesnuffy
gordo said:
If you're willing to drive out a while and camp a few nights, most all of the lakes in the Lakes Basin in the Eagle Cap Wilderness

There is NO GOOD FISHING on this side of the state..... so um, don't bother coming over here........ :p ;)

It's hard to pick just one over here because each OFFers something different. the best lakes over here you can't get to be car or truck.

J
JeannaJigs
On the east side I like Anthony Lake...and there's a small lake near sumpter, that I can't recall the name of, but it was a great pontoon lake with some nice rainbows.

G
gordo
joesnuffy said:
There is NO GOOD FISHING on this side of the state..... so um, don't bother coming over here........ :p ;)

Err.... uhhh... yea, that's what I meant! Waste of gas ;)

T
Throbbit _Shane
gordo said:
If you're willing to drive out a while and camp a few nights, most all of the lakes in the Lakes Basin in the Eagle Cap Wilderness are pretty nice... I caught my fair share there this summer. Most were not keepers, but one was a real nice one.
Also, this one is a little further off the beaten path, but Harriet Lake about an hour east of Medford is supposedly great as well. It also makes for a beautiful backpack trip. I went up there and got skunked :( but I talked to some people who had the same same luck as I did that day, but they told me they were pulling them out left and right just the day before - more than they could eat. I guess I was a day late on that one

Are you sure Harriet Lake is a hour east of Medford?

G
gordo
Throbbit _Shane said:
Are you sure Harriet Lake is a hour east of Medford?

I'm sorry... I do this all the time. :redface: I meant Harriette Lake. It's in the Mountain Lakes Wilderness, but yes, about an hour east of Medford. You're looking at a good 6 mile hike in to get there from the north side of the wilderness... longer if you come in from the south

T
TTFishon
I fished a small reservoir near the town of Fossil about ten years ago. It's a private lake but the owners will let you fish it as long as you keep it clean. The lake is called Rowe Creek Reservoir. If you're ever out that way I'd recommend fishing there. We caught several trout with the smallest being about 23 inches and the biggest was 26 inches.

L
Larry Massengale
gordo said:

Thanks for the get back.. I am no longer able to back pack. Must have electricity for a respitory problem. Sleep Apnea, use a c-pap machine.
South Lake near Hebo is stocked in the spring if you like put and take trout.

B
beaverfan
This thread has given me a whole bunch of places to check out next summer. Awesome.

R
rainbowfisherman
Thats what i was trying to do get ideas for people

F
Fish Dawgs
has anyone visited harriet lake recently?

Last edited:
L
livin2fish
I'd have to say wickiup just cause it's one of those places thats nice to be no matter what.Crane prairy is good as well as eastlake. Fishon.

T
TTFishon
livin2fish said:
I'd have to say wickiup just cause it's one of those places thats nice to be no matter what.Crane prairy is good as well as eastlake. Fishon.

I was going to say Wickiup too but I don't consider Wickiup to be high mountain. Wickiup is my all time favorite lake that's for sure.

R
rainbowfisherman
Alright, Im trying to plan a trip now and can't decide! urghhh, this is not easy. Im think either Paulina, maybe Harriet, Or trillium, or even clear lake on the santiam pass. Hmmm

L
lizardman
Clear lake between Eugene and Sisters. They used to have some nice rainbow in there (of course this was 25+ years ago when I was a kid and would go camping there with my mom).

Dave

E
eggs
A lake in olallie area!

F
flyfisherman4
My all time favorite lake is 3 creeks trolling nymphs in a float tube would be an amazing way to fish I have caught 31 bows and 2 brookies in one day on the far side of the lake a little creek comes in thats where you will catch the brookies very pleasant just to sit there not to mention catchin 33 fish!