Fall salmon upper Rogue

J
Jt1681
I'm new to this site and had a couple questions i anyone
Knows. First off is Anybody catching any fall salmon or steelies up near Hayes falls or gold nugget area? Also I just started bobber fishing for salmon and
Steels and I was Curious if others use like 1oz below the bobber to get a good cast and does that just completely desensitize a soft bite
Of the hook? Haven't caught anything in awhile with roe flowing right infront of spawning salmon and steels jumping and rolling around everywhere?!

T
Thuggin4Life
Not my river but i would imagine by now and with the rains there would be fish very close to the beds of death so i bet anywhere below that aall the way to the salt there are fish to be caught. Also i'm not much of a float user but the few times i did the shrimp/roe cocktail (check it out i said cock and got away with it) under a big float and we used the sliding setup with a 1oz teardrop on the swivel below the float and then like a good 18" or so of leader. This was for the last mile of tidewater on the slaw and it seamed to work. we also were fishing the slacks though. I would imagine with my limited experiances using (many more watching others) use floats for winter steel i would say that to float fish for salmon its excactly the........

(Spacing for troutdude)

...... same as steelhead just sized up and even that varies depending on conditions and situations and the river you are on. Sounds like if you know the art of the float (which it sounds like you do or at least know enough to get you into trouble) then best thing for you do is go fish that rig with confidence. Just watch the float if its suspicious then investigate. if its dragging the adjust. If it seems like your not deep enough then go deeper. As for not using wieght i would imagine (again not my method of fishing but i have tried it) that it takes it longer to even get down to the strike zone and maybe in the right currents never make it down there and could even make you float track wrong in the water making you just thinking you are fishing instead of actually fishing. seams like the wieght helps to get that gear be it bait or jigs down were you want it when you want it there not way below were you casted and we all know you casted thre for a reason. no weight might as well walk upstream 20 feet and cast and then walk down the bank folliwng your float until it gets back into the hole you were originally trying to fish. Hope this helps man Good luck....

(Spacing for troutdude)

.....and welcome to the forum. Got me a few lifelong friends (not cyber friends) and more cyber freinds than i can count along even several real aquaintances from this forum in the short time I have beeen on this site. And its the best one in town.

Reactions: Raincatcher and RunWithSasquatch
E
eat, sleep, fish
The middle and upper Rogue are closed to salmon fishing. They are in the middle of spawning so please don't harrass them.

There are plenty of steelhead around. Above Gold Ray it is flies only. If you don't have a fly rod you can fish them under a float as long as there is no additional weight or attachments used except for a float. Below Gold Ray you may use any technique.

The steelhead are going to be keying in on the eggs from the spawning salmon so small bits of roe, or single egg patterns have been best. Little cleos have also been producing a few fish.

The rains yesterday have made for a pretty good bite so far today. I've already heard of 5 caught this morning between 2 people, so you just need to get out there.

D
DYJ
I fished it on Sunday with my Brother inlaw. Put in at Gold Hill and out at the Valley of the Rogue. Lots and lots of Salmon in the spawning beds. My brother inlaw hooked a beautiful wild Steelhead on a yarnie with a touch of eggs, in the first hole of the morning. I had a good day of cutthroat catching, one was 16 inches or so. I also hooked a Jack that jumped and smiled as he spit the hook at me.... literally spit it at me, I had to duck to avoid my gear as it flew threw the air. :lol: That was pretty much it for the day, never even got the fish box dirty. On Saturday, I wasn't down there yet, but my brotherinlaw and his neighbor went 4 for 7 to the boat and 3 were keepers, one was wild.

J
Jt1681
Thanks man I really appreciate the advice. Headed out in the morning to put some work in!

T
Thuggin4Life
Really the salmon in the rogue are already boots? nowereto catchafresh bright chinook anywhere huh?

J
Jt1681
Much appreciated man! So nov. 1st it opens up for salmon on the middle and upper? Sounds good!

D
DYJ
Thuggin4Life said:
Really the salmon in the rogue are already boots? nowereto catchafresh bright chinook anywhere huh?

They're already darker than boots... we leave em alone. We target the steelhead that are gathering to munch on the salmon eggs.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Jt1681 said:
Much appreciated man! So nov. 1st it opens up for salmon on the middle and upper? Sounds good!

It's open to silvers, but not chinook. If you're wanting to catch a king you've got to be below Hog Creek.

Thuggin4Life said:

They're beyond boots in the middle and upper river. If you want to catch a bright king you've got to head down to Gold Beach.

M
Mad dog
Thuggin4Life said:

Hell....the fall chinook run on the Rogue starts in late July! a lot of those fish have probably been in fresh water nearly 3 months!

T
Thuggin4Life
I see so sounds like the winters show up early too then? Like i said not my river.

E
eat, sleep, fish
Winters are a late run. They'll start showing up in January in the middle river, but the big push doesn't make it until late February. In the upper river we're still catching summer runs into February, and winter runs get going in March with the best fishing in April.

J
Jt1681
There are some nice looking steelhead out there right now in the upper rogue area. Just fished this spot today where you could watch the steelhead fighting over the roe right as it was coming out the salmon! I got one to bite on a little roe with a bobber but I lost it into some current. But they are picky as hell, I had that roe passin by them tons of times after that with no hits. maybe I will try some worms with the bobber next time for those steelies. Determined to land my first steelhead!

E
eat, sleep, fish
Jt1681 said:
There are some nice looking steelhead out there right now in the upper rogue area. Just fished this spot today where you could watch the steelhead fighting over the roe right as it was coming out the salmon! I got one to bite on a little roe with a bobber but I lost it into some current. But they are picky as hell, I had that roe passin by them tons of times after that with no hits. maybe I will try some worms with the bobber next time for those steelies. Determined to land my first steelhead!

The upper rogue is restricted to flies only currently. So from Gold Ray dam up bait isn't allowed until Nov. 1st. and even then bait is only allowed from the Shady Cove boat ramp and up until the 1st of the year.

Last edited:
J
Jt1681
gold hill area is open and a pretty close drive for me.