Epic razor clamming!

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Took the family to ft Stevens state park this weekend for camping and razor clamming.The clamming was great! The beach had shows of every type in all directions. It did not matter where you went, everyone on the beach got limits in under 20 minutes.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
excellent. sure will be nice when they open more of the coast to digging them, the data seems to be in to open south at least to Newport but so far, just crickets from the Ag. safety folks...

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
I know! It's killing me. I have a scouted and found a nice bed of them...just waiting. I checked the site today also, been a while since they updated it

G
Gulfstream
Darn...that sounds great!!

H
Hookset
Nice job.

B
Big3d
Are you just looking for the holes and bubbles when water goes over it? I have never done any clamming, just wondering, unless it's a guarded secret of course.

O. mykiss
O. mykiss
Razor clam shows can vary a lot depending on the weather and surf conditions. They can appear as just a hole, a mound, a dimple in the sand, or a doughnut shape. Some days if it raining hard or the surf is big you won't be able to see anything and you will have to "pound" the sand to make them retract their siphon which will temporarily cause a crater as they pull down giving up their location. If you plan on trying, this years clam population on clatsop county beaches is huge and I would get after them!

B
Big3d
Thanks for the tips, I might go do that if I get a craving for some. Gotta grab a shellfish license.

C
coyo7e
O. mykiss said:
Razor clam shows can vary a lot depending on the weather and surf conditions. They can appear as just a hole, a mound, a dimple in the sand, or a doughnut shape. Some days if it raining hard or the surf is big you won't be able to see anything and you will have to "pound" the sand to make them retract their siphon which will temporarily cause a crater as they pull down giving up their location. If you plan on trying, this years clam population on clatsop county beaches is huge and I would get after them!
There are also a lot of ODFW guided classes and such which you can sign up for. It's a long drive to fort stevens or I'd have gone on one of those classes sometime.

I know in Waldport for they have clamming classes out of the interpretive/infortmational center next to Subway almost every day during appropriate tides, and they provide the tools and gloves and stuff, all you need to do is show up with boots (or shorts and bare feet if you're like my brother's girlfriend.) Waldport won't have much in teh way of Razors but you can easily limit out on the three or four other types of clams around there, and the guide will show you where to look and how to identify their shows, and how to ID them so you know what you've got. (look in the weed beds)

I'd recommend looking through garage sales for a nice metal clam gun, or just using your hands and a 5" or 6" wide spade. Everybody likes hunting differently, but with razors it's tougher to nab them without a clam gun imho.

B
backcountryhunter
YouTube has videos on razor clamming. William Lachner (sp) has a book on it and offers some classes.

DSCN0114.jpg

Here is a picture of a nice Razor out of Ocean Park.