Elusive salmon search

L
lizzay
Hey guys, Im new to OFF as well as Oregon. I've been lurking and learning a lot about the fisheries up here in this forum and I would like to thank everyone.

I've been fishing the clackamas banks at riverside park the last 3 days with jigs, roe, at the bottom, and also bobbering with no luck. A guy on a drift boat said its been very tuff fishing lately but he managed a couple stealheads that day.

Yesterday I went to Oxbow in the afternoon (day 4) to try out the Sandy with no luck either. I spoke to a fly fishing guy there and he said he also had a rough day out as well. He was very generous in taking the time to show me a few things about fly fishing. So far Ive experienced great people sharing a common interest. I shall have a report with some nice fishes hopefully sooner than later.

Last edited:
T
TimberTodd
Welcome to OFF. Keep after it and you will be posting some pics. Good luck.

troutdude
troutdude
Welcome to OFF, and to our great state.

Salmon & Steelhead, are two of the hardest species to dial in. Especially in low / clear water. Just be persistent, and eventually it will pay OFF.

S
sapo
Nice! Welcome to the forum. Did you fish at the boat launch area at Oxbow?

L
lizzay
Thanks for the warm welcome and support everybody. Im really looking forward to a great winter season. Let there be rain!

@Sapo, no I wasn't fishing there but was just figuring the place out and eventually went about halfway of the park where there is a small parking lot on the side that has the river. Walked down to a small beach.

T
TimberTodd
lizzay said:
Let there be rain!

Washed and waxed the truck Sunday. So far it doesn't look like I satisfied the rain gods.

S
sapo
lizzay said:
Let there be rain!

Ya..the sad reality is I don't see a single big rain in the next month..A big rain would be great to push a bunch more fish in, raise the river levels, improve the fishing conditions, etc. however ECMWF ensemble average gives us less than 2" of rain in the next month. The weather pattern is not favorable for rain, ECMWF monthly maps showing upper level ridging for the next 4+ weeks, which basically means it's gonna be really tough to get a big rain.

The closest thing we have is that it looks like a bit of a more showery pattern will develop late next week..but sprinkles aren't enough to do anything to river levels or fish. Honestly I don't think we'll see a big rain until late October, if we even see one.

D
DrTheopolis
Rather selfishly, I hope the big rains hold OFF until late October, which is when I'll finally be getting back to Oregon, where I clearly belong.

And then, I'm going to spend the next 2-3 weeks fishing like a man possessed.

S
sapo
Yep DrTheo I think you'll be in luck..no big rain in sight, the best we'll get is a shower here and there for now.

S
sapo
It looks like the next "rain" in sight for us could be October 9th..It's not looking like a big rainstorm (actually it'll probably end up as being an hour of light rain showers) but almost all the GFS ensemble members show something, which is promising..In fact, starting October 9, we're heading into a wetter pattern, not rainy but showers and cooler weather may bring some more fish in. That elusive, big 1-2" rain we're looking for-not in sight, but we can hope for cooler and wetter weather in the meantime.