Electric smoker recommendations

T
Teo
Hello All,

I'm looking for recommendations for a good electric smoker. What features do you think are important? Which should I avoid?

Thanks,
Ken

T
Thuggin4Life
Just get a little chief. or a big chief. great smoker for the price.

M
Markcanby
The main thing to look at if you plan to spend real money is the box it self. Make sure it seals up nice an does not transfer heat out of the box. The Chiefs are great but a lot of the 2-3X more expensive smokers just have a better paint job.

R
rippin fish lips
Thuggin4Life said:
Just get a little chief. or a big chief. great smoker for the price.

i got a little cheif and it works just fine! i want a bigger one tho and its actually telling me that its hungryyyy! :D

Last edited:
A
alm21
My Luhr Jensen Big Chief has worked just fine for me. I like the size and top loading aspect.

C
Coho Kid
Anyone have a Bradley?

T
troutmasta
I used one of the old fashoned horizontal barrel types with the fire pit on the side the other day. I used wet alder and made some DELICIOUS smoked salmon. As for an electric my buddy has a liitle chief and likes it.

troutdude
troutdude
Yep, I have used Little / Big Chief's for many years. They always work fine for me. So, I don't see any need to get any fancier.

But, I've never found anything that tops my Granddaddy's back yard brick smoke house (right across the street from the Little Nestucca...mmmmmmmmmmmmmm)!

R
Razz
My big smoker 7'x5'x7'H takes a lot of work just for a couple of salmon Big chef is just right for 30-40 lb fish,used to use a two of little chefs now it's just big/c .Have a batch of estuary Rogue king in it now.

M
Mildy
I have a chief, nice and simple.

Q
qwapaw
I actually have a Great Smokey Mountan propane smoker. I like it real well. I can both smoke and cook in it. If you watch you can find a mid sized on for around 250.00. I had a little chiel and it work fine for small batckes of fish, When we do Jerky we like to do a lot of it, so this works grea, and I can do ribs at the same time. Good luck, whatever you buy will work good once you learn how to use it. Tight Lines, Dan