Eagle Creek hatchery

P
pdxstruve
Hi,

Anyone been up to Eagle Creek Hatchery outside of Estacada since the rains have rolled in? Was gonna bounce out Sunday and was wondering if anyone has heard of any coho rolling up through there.

Thx!

B
BamaDan
I can't speak to the hatchery, but I've fished the mouth of EC a couple mornings before work this week and was surprised by how little action I saw. I figured there would be one last big push after the rain, but they could have jetted up as soon as the water rose. That being said, I would assume there are still some fish holding down from the hatchery and some more stragglers working their way up.

P
pdxstruve
Thanks BamaDan. Will give you all a shout it I hit it with an update.

M
Modest_Man
Ten live fish total in the two miles below the hatchery. Zero fish holding in 1.5 miles around Snuffin bridge. Not one car pulled off along the road, at the park, or at the hatchery.

P
pdxstruve
That Modest Man....is an accurate update! Thanks.

troutdude
troutdude
CLACKAMAS, Ore. – The Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife today adopted temporary rule closing the coho salmon season on Eagle Creek, effective Sunday, Nov. 8 and continuing until further notice.

The closure was adopted at the request of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service, which operates Eagle Creek National Fish Hatchery near Estacada. Coho returns to the hatchery are tracking well below brood stock needs for the hatchery.

“Based on reports through this week, returns to the hatchery are well below their production goals,” said Chris Kern, deputy administrator of ODFW’s fish division. “Unfortunately, this action is necessary to aid the situation.”

Steelhead fishing in Eagle Creek remains open. Fishing in the Clackamas River is not affected by the rule change.