Dumb question

I
igquick
Sup, I just wanted to know of places around Sauvies Island that I could catch fish (any) around 2 lbs, and what techniques to use.

I am specifically looking at Glibert River, and @CESAR503 has told me the current is fast there and that there are Perch along the banks if yall wanted to know. I also know that there are carp literally everywhere there, and that there are sturgeon in sturgeon lake (go figure) and around the mouth of the Gilbert that enters Sturgeon lake.

D
DrTheopolis
First, a little correction -- the Mouth of the Gilbert is at Multnomah Channel (not really much of a river, but flows when the C is high). There's a boat ramp at the mouth with docks (or was last time I was there, been quite a while).

But (again, I haven't fished Sauvies in a long time) if you stop at the store, they might have a map (you're spending $8 to park, might as well bucky up a couple extra for the map). I think there's about 50 lakes on Sauvies, they all have fish (including the stocker pond). Most of them are loaded with carp, plenty of bullheads, and other species.

And you could always plunk for steel/nooks OFF the beach. Bring your girl, tunes, beer if you like, and spend the day on the beach.

I
igquick
DrTheopolis said:
First, a little correction -- the Mouth of the Gilbert is at Multnomah Channel (not really much of a river, but flows when the C is high). There's a boat ramp at the mouth with docks (or was last time I was there, been quite a while).

But (again, I haven't fished Sauvies in a long time) if you stop at the store, they might have a map (you're spending $8 to park, might as well bucky up a couple extra for the map). I think there's about 50 lakes on Sauvies, they all have fish (including the stocker pond). Most of them are loaded with carp, plenty of bullheads, and other species.

And you could always plunk for steel/nooks OFF the beach. Bring your girl, tunes, beer if you like, and spend the day on the beach.

Thanks for the answer man i appreciate it...do you know if the bullheads are bigger in size or what?

D
DrTheopolis
There's always a few in every crowd, right?

Like the few in the crowd that warmwater/junk fish in the land of salmon and steel (busting your chops).

I
igquick
DrTheopolis said:
There's always a few in every crowd, right?

Like the few in the crowd that warmwater/junk fish in the land of salmon and steel (busting your chops).

Heck yeah there r more junkfish lol...i wish i could fish for salmon but i would get skunked

D
DrTheopolis
You seem to be mastering the how and when of carp. Same deal for any other fish. Might not always get the numbers, but nothing good is easy.

But really, I'd recommend doing what you enjoy.

I
igquick
DrTheopolis said:
You seem to be mastering the how and when of carp. Same deal for any other fish. Might not always get the numbers, but nothing good is easy.

But really, I'd recommend doing what you enjoy.

I like carp fishing also because there arent any crowds of people....i tried going for bass but it's really tough out here in fairview....really really really want to go sturgeon fishing but i feel a little obligation for my buyers lol...u been fishin lately?

D
DrTheopolis
igquick said:
u been fishin lately?

Was my birthday last weekend, and two different friends hit me up. Saturday was a skunkfest on the Clack, even covering Feldheimers to Carver (probably 10 river miles). Don't know what's going on, same techniques, places, and everything else as previous years in which we've done fabulous. Other folks on here seem to be scratching it out there, and I've fished that river with success for a lot of years, and this year is kicking my hiney, along with my experienced friends. Don't know what's up with that (besides bad numbers of fish, but that hasn't always stopped me) . Maybe just bad luck.

Sunday afternoon was spent right out of Chinook Landing, where we went 1/1 with a very nice highfinner Chinook released. Could have been better, but me and mibe are pretty inexperienced at the Columbia thing, and the guy I went with went 1/1 the day before by himself in a short time on the water, so it seems like we're figuring it out pretty well. I'm a small stream guy, so the big water is weird to me. But I guess with (literally) millions of fish swimming up the C, there's fish to be had.

Spent the Saturday before fishing for cutthroat on the Wilson. Pretty slow overall, but caught 2 nice ones (one took a little damage, so it went home, but I usually am pretty big on releasing coastal cutthroat/sea-runs, even though they're about the best tasting thing ever). Outfished the guys I went with, who fish there a lot more than me these days in summer -- made for a better drive home (for me anyway, but it's not a contest until someone runs their mouth).

I
igquick
happy birthday by the way...that's funny it's not a contest until someone runs their mouth...maybe the fish have been slowly decreasing from overfishing?

D
DrTheopolis
On the Clack, we're targeting hatchery fish, so overfishing has little to do with it. I believe a failed management plan has lots more to do with it, and rumor has it, that plan is being changed the next couple of years.

Back in the 90's, trout fishing regs in coastal streams were much more permissive, and that led to a decline in cutthroat. I think both more restrictive regs and overall responsibility by anglers has led them to a huge comeback. I'll occasionally fish for them, but try to send them on their way unharmed if possible.

Whereas hatchery fish are there for the sole purpose of whack-n-stack.

C
CESAR503
if you go into hadelman pond there is carp in there....there is also a little stream there that I caught a few carp using corn......and then there is another little pond there that has blue gill and carp....u can see them jumping all the time....but wut sucks is that there is a lot of weeds.....there is like 2 ponds and sturgeon lake and the stream there that u can try!!! im thinkin of goin Monday again

I
igquick
@Dr Another dumb question, do they release trout in the rivers on the regular?

@cesar dang I want to go so bad, but the drive is so far.....I already got my in home places to fish at for now, and I'm on the hunt for a 20 lber common carp via fly fishing and I got his number....just hoping he answers it lol....Do carp taste good cesar?