Duel @ high noon!

troutdude
troutdude
Well, decided to do a little recon this morning--and wound up knockin' some 'bows senseless again.

The Enterprise and I eased out of space dock (Corvallis), around 8:00 a.m. We cruised at sub light speed; and punched in the coordinates for Detroit. Then we fired our afterburners, and made a last minute stop for supplies in Stayton (Mickey D's Caramel Latte & hashbrowns, and some tackle at Bi-Mart).

Our next stop, was just below Big Cliff Dam. Wanted to see how that spot looks...for later steel missions. Here's a couple o' pics. Note: lots o' fast n' high water. Saw three dudes fishin', but no action.

Decided not to give it a go there. Water was a bit too high--and grass freshly wet from light rain--for my sneakers. I had a hunch, that I should've worn my boots! Hey, that car decal looks kinda familiar...

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Upgraded our coordinates, for a spot where I C&R'd about 30 'bows last June: Tumble Creek inlet @ Detroit. However, the trail was far too rough for these old bones. So, snapped some pics for posterity's sake and moved on down the road.

BTW, the sun broke out as I approached the Detroit dam. It wasn't all sunny; but it was a much better day up there, than it was down here in the Willy!

My game plan, was to turn OFF onto French Glen Rd. Then, cut over to a gravel road and onto the west side of the Breitenbush arm peninsula. But, as I got there...I decided to cross the bridge and head up the road that goes to the Hot Springs (and on up to Ollalie Lake). As I cruised through the space/time continuum; I spied a couple of viable bank options. But, there were only a few peeps at the park (and no signs of Romulan infiltration)--so that's where I docked the Enterprise.

I started out on the rocky bank, about 50 - 70 yards downstream from the handicapped dock. Plunked the proverbial Power Eggs with rod #1. Started casting & retrieving a Thomas Buoyant with the other rod. Changed egg color, and re-set rod 1. Changed to a silver (and original) Little Cleo on rod 2. Here's a pic of that dock; from where I was situated.

After about 45 minutes and no luck, I picked up and moved about 70 - 80 yards farther downstream (and onto relatively flat sandy land). Here's pic lookin' downstream and towards the bridge, at Detroit, not too far away.

From that vantage point--and about 20 - 40 yards in either direction--was when the duel began. And it was literally HIGH NOON (12:00 straight up)! I whipped out six gun #1; and before my bait hit the water...FISH ON! He was safely returned to his family...to let them all know that I was gunnin' fer 'em...and they had best run for the hills!

Strapped on a brass Little Cleo (on Colt # 2) and on the drop...BAM! Then, it was darn near NON-STOP action for the next hour and a half. All told; I C&R'd about 30 'bows again.

One guy--as we were leaving--thanked me for showing him "where to fish"! He went downstream from me, and got his limit. :lol:

Picken's were "slim" for others.

<pun intended...for those who recall their western B movies>

Here are the boys who are now in the fridge. The top pic is of the biggest I got today. He's clamped onto the hook of my Little Cleo--and likely not liking his fate!

0528021156.jpg

0528021441.jpg

Man, what a fun day. A most memorable memorial day indeed!

Hope you all had a good day too. And God Bless the men & women who serve/have served our beautiful country!!!

P.S. No fish were permanently harmed during the making of this film. Except for the 2 who are awaiting my frying pan!

Last edited:
LadyoftheLake
LadyoftheLake
Great fishing story. You give me hope.

troutdude
troutdude
Thank you. It was fun.

But, I think that I forgot to mention today's trick: slowly retrieving and working the bait/lure along the bottom was what got me so many fish.

T
Throbbit _Shane
Cool report TD!

L
lilsalmon
nice report.....If I don't bring home a fish for my mom soon she will stop letting my dog out while I am gone....hehe.

T
TTFishon
Nice report TD!!! Looks like it was a fun day on the water!

bass
bass
Nice troutdude. Made me feel like I was along for the ride. I love reports like that.

C
cowboysfan
great thread,love the story line! sounds like you had a great day. Thanks for the shout out to service men and women. USMC 1981-1984

M
mahmichael
Awesome report TD. Sounds like a fun day.