Dry and nymph patterns for June

T
TeflonSteel
I live near the Willamette River, I've been waiting to go fly fishing for very long time this year. So I've been tying flies for each of the up coming months. The river flow has be a lot this year. So now it is June I'm looking for some good nymph patterns and Dry Fly patterns. I would love the help.

E
everett464
June is such an awesome time, because you can practically throw out anything and expect there to be some of them in the air. Elk hair caddis in a 14 or 16 is always a standby (try yellow, tan or a gray), and there are still quite a few monster green caddis out there as well (in an eight or so). Green Drakes were heavy the last few times I hit the middle fork, and PMDs should also produce well.

Nymphs are the same story right now. Have the gamut in your box, but a good stepping off point is a golden stone or a possie bugger. Mega princes and regular princes should be fine as well.

F
fisherwilly
I usually tie generic patterns like the adams, elk hair caddis, stimulators (for stone dries and hoppers), hairs ear nymph, copper johns and pheasant tail nymph. I think if you tie light and dark patterns for dries and light and dark patterns for nymphs and in different sizes you will be good. Also you can look on westfly and see some northwest patterns. Don't forget wooly buggers, because you can catch almost everybody fish on a bugger.

E
everett464
Agreed about westfly.com, also, oregonflyfishingblog.com is an awesome resource.

Of course, OFFB is in the business of sellin' stuff, so they generally recommend an unnecessarily huge amount of flies (unnecessarily huge, IMO only, of course), but you can get an awesome idea of what the majority of fly fisherman are catching fish on in the area from a place that can monitor trends by sales numbers(it's the American way, YO).

I also agree with fisherwilly on the light dark idea. I tend to use light and dark EHC's for dries, and possie bugger (light) and mega prince (dark) tandems almost exclusively.

T
TeflonSteel
Thanks for all the advice

Thanks for all the advice

Thanks for all the advice. Seems I'm on the right track with my fly box. Now if it would stop raining and the water level drop a bit. Then maybe I can get my line wet. :)