Dont eat the brown fish

B
Brokenrod
Yummy...

S
shadow
the willamette river

the willamette river

Well on that subject I think anyone who eats fish from the Willamette is asking for trouble at least around the Portland area Try fishing the headwaters way south east of Eugene I hear its kinda pristine up there

R
rainman
shadow said:
Well on that subject I think anyone who eats fish from the Willamette is asking for trouble at least around the Portland area Try fishing the headwaters way south east of Eugene I hear its kinda pristine up there

Agreed.
Not saying that this is the only polluter of the Willy, but the paper mill at Millersburg is or was a major polluter. It seems that the process of bleaching the pulp ended up with waste that was discharged into the Willy in the form of a liquid going out a pipe. The pollutant was heavier than water and therefore sunk to the bottom, where it began its insidious trek up the food chain.

T
todd_brooks
Thats ridiculous!!! 3,000,000 gal LEAK. How can't this get more coverage. And why the hell don't they have a back up system in place. Theres got to be a better way and they should be made to follow practices that protect our rivers.

O
OnTheFly
todd_brooks said:
Thats ridiculous!!! 3,000,000 gal LEAK. How can't this get more coverage. And why the hell don't they have a back up system in place. Theres got to be a better way and they should be made to follow practices that protect our rivers.

Todd, you're absolutly right! If a sewage dump of that magnatude were anyway possible, then a generator back up system should definitely be in place. Our company installs them all the time. It's further proof that something is tragically wrong down there. In my opinion, these spills are deliberate and they wait for a good rain to blame it on. Probably all has to do with money:rolleyes:

1bigfish
If this little spill upsets you people, you should try looking into what really goes into the river.

Try looking into the sewer treatment regulations for the cities along the Willy. I have not researched ALL of them but of all the sewer treatment plants I have looked at they are allowed to spill waste that has not been fully treated into the water based on the amount of water flowing in the river. And trust me they do. This is not top secret stuff. It is actually public record.

Then check into the EPA fines that some of the companies along the river pay on a yearly basis. For some of them polution fines are just part of regular business expences. Again the fines are public record.

I always have to laugh at people who say they would not eat fish from lower Willy because of these spill and think nothing about eating a fish from the upper Willy. Personally I have and will continue to eat salmon from the Willy as they don't spend much time actually in the Willy but ALL other fish from the Willy anywhere down stream of Eugene, forget it. You could not pay me enough.

Y
Yentz
My rule of thumb has always been, If it's above the falls, i might eat it. If it's below the falls, no thanks.

J
John B
The way I understand it is, its the residence fish you dont want to eat. Salmon and Steehead are migratory therefore they are not in the river long enough to become contaminated, contamination rests in the body fat of the fish. I generally fillet fish that I kill trimming belly fat from the fillet. Sturgeon are also migratory and travel to and from the ocean. You can tell a sturgeon that hasn't been in the river very long, this is the fish I kill if I kill one. Sturgeon above the falls should be considered resident fish, They can't travel through the fish ladder, so they can't be considered migratory. When I start exploring the upper Willamette for Sturgeon, this will be a catch and release fishrie from my boat.

Fish-On Fred
Fish-On Fred
Mckenzie Dump Port

Mckenzie Dump Port

:shock:
John B said:
The way I understand it is, its the residence fish you dont want to eat. Salmon and Steehead are migratory therefore they are not in the river long enough to become contaminated, contamination rests in the body fat of the fish. I generally fillet fish that I kill trimming belly fat from the fillet. Sturgeon are also migratory and travel to and from the ocean. You can tell a sturgeon that hasn't been in the river very long, this is the fish I kill if I kill one. Sturgeon above the falls should be considered resident fish, They can't travel through the fish ladder, so they can't be considered migratory. When I start exploring the upper Willamette for Sturgeon, this will be a catch and release fishrie from my boat.

Check out the discharge pipe just below Hayden Bridge on the west bank. This comes from the big mill on 42nd Street. No wonder Fish and Game made it catch and release below there. So, money talks.

T
Thuggin4Life
There are several filter ponds that they use to in some kind of filtering prossess I think for maybe exhaust fumes ot something any ways they filter things through several ponds before the pump water into the slough that flows into the mckenzie and they have been working back there for a year or 2 probably making it more eco friendly. We used to catch bluegill in the slough all the time and right were the water hits the mac its really warm we used to swim there as kids.