Diamond 7-21-11

B

Big Hairy Dawg

Diamond 7 21 11

We arrived just after a nasty windy and wet Saturday morning to find some left over wind, sunny skies, no bugs, and a pretty good afternoon bite. Sunday was again windy and over cast with rain. Big mayfly hatch on the west shore in the afternoon.
We found fish almost every where and probably spent too much time checking every where instead of fishing. We for sure caught our limits every day but only kept a few for eats. Red egg flavored power bait was hot but wished I had my fly pole (again) with me because I could see big fish rising all around the boat. :naughty:

troutdude

troutdude

Looks like you have a great day or two on the water. Nice report and nice pic.

And good thing that you the right color/flavor of power bait for the job! I keep telling folks on here, to always have multiple colors/flavors (scents) on hand.

Some peeps listen to me, and others don't (due to ignorance). Their loss, is your gain!

Last edited:
E

eat sleep fish

Sure is some weird weather for this time of year, but looks like you guys had a good time none the less.

B

Big Hairy Dawg

I guess I should change my name to OLD Big Hairy Dawg........ I screwed the date up is all....it should be 7-16-11...right? LOL!

S

SturgeonSurgeon

Sure is some weird weather for this time of year, but looks like you guys had a good time none the less.

Installing Portland, Oregon seasons (summer)...
███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.
Install delayed....please wait.
Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found. Season "Summer" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might have been removed, had it's name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

R

rippin fish lips

Installing Portland, Oregon seasons (summer)...
███████████████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░ 44% DONE.
Install delayed....please wait.
Installation failed. Please try again. 404 error: Season not found. Season "Summer" cannot be located. The season you are looking for might have been removed, had it's name changed, or is temporarily unavailable. Please try again later.

lol

B

Bosco

Big Dawg,
I'm traveling to Oregon to do a little fishing with my son (he lives in Eugene). We be staying at the Diamond lake resort and I have reserved a boat. This will be my first trip to the lake. Can you give me any suggestions on some good fishing spots?

Bosco

troutdude

troutdude

Bosco, here is a map of Diamond Lake that should be quite helpful. Hopefully, you can also read the article too for some tips.

WORD: INSECT REPELLANT is a very good idea to have with you.

By the way, you will be VERY close to Crater Lake. If you have never been to Crater Lake...it is WELL worth the short drive to see a true wonder of the world!

B

Big Hairy Dawg

We fished it yesterday! There was a large cluster of boats off the point between the Diamond lake campground boat ramps but I don't like crowds so we didn't join in. We fished in front of the Pizza Parlor and got a limit but no large fish. I would try just a few hundred feet north of the thielson camp boat ramp in about 30 feet of water and yesterday the red power bait with egg scent was still hot.
2lb test. Bugs were not bad but the skeets were on the attack at the boat ramp when we took out. I saw some big fish being cleaned so they are biting, we just didn't get on them.
Also look for the cluster of boats in the very SW corner of the lake!

B

Bosco

Thanks for all the advice. I'll be on the lake early next week. Will post a report.

Thanks,
Bosco

J

JimBob

Short drive is a bit misleading. It's a long way up to the Crater Lake rim.

troutdude

troutdude

It's not a short as I recall (from 3 decades ago, when I was last there). But, according to MapQuest it's only 45 minutes. That's not too bad.