Deschutes mouth steelhead?

F
fishties
I am staying in Hood River for a few days. I would appreciate any suggestions or advice on access points for wading the lower Deschutes for steelhead this week. I was planning a two fly rig with an egg pattern and a bead head nymph.
But I am flexible. Thanks.

M
Mike123
why not fish the Hood?

Just wondering...

A
ArcticAmoeba
Just fish the Egg pattern or Nymph. Those fish are aggressive, and foul hooking them on a trailer fly is too easy to do when four fish all rally to get your gear first. Its not too early for Deschutes Summers, but it won't be like it is in late Summer. Good Luck man.

B
bauer buoy
ArcticAmoeba said:
Just fish the Egg pattern or Nymph. Those fish are aggressive, and foul hooking them on a trailer fly is too easy to do when four fish all rally to get your gear first. Its not too early for Deschutes Summers, but it won't be like it is in late Summer. Good Luck man.

the water is to high! don't waist your time.

F
fishties
Deschutes too high, too early in the season

Deschutes too high, too early in the season

The fellows in the Hood River Fly Shop also told me to fish the Hood, as the Deschutes was not producing yet. Took a drive to the Deschutes yesterday anyway, just to see it. (Stopped at the Dalles Dam and watched quite a few salmon ascending the fish ladder on the closed circuit TV on the way). At the mouth, the Deschutes is BIG WATER but did not appear to be in flood stage or anything. I had seen it near Bend, at SunRiver, a couple of years ago. Did not fish it then or yesterday.

I did fish the Hood. My son saw a steelhead landed near the first railroad bridge but we didn't hook any. We will stick close today and tomorrow and hope for better success.