Cutthroat trout in the winter

Trout Slayer_7
Trout Slayer_7
Member
I am going out for Cutthroat trout in a creek tomorrow and was wondering what flies/lures I should use, trying to get my first cutthroat. any help would be much appreciated
 
On a sunny day Ive got them use to the bank on small dries but if it's a nymphing show I typically pick them up on small pale egg patterns.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Peaceful
jamisonace said:
On a sunny day Ive got them use to the bank on small dries but if it's a nymphing show I typically pick them up on small pale egg patterns.
thanks!
 
Trout Slayer_7 said:
I am going out for Cutthroat trout in a creek tomorrow and was wondering what flies/lures I should use, trying to get my first cutthroat. any help would be much appreciated
There are definitely a few streams open in the winter, but many are closed. Be sure to check the regs.

The water is likely to be pretty cold so nymphs may work better than dries. I've seen decent hatches on some of the tailwaters in the winter of course, but it is rarer on the freestones and even when there are bugs coming off, the cold flows and higher water often seems to keep fish down. I'm partial to copper johns and similar nymphs that get down quick. Whatever you fish slow and deep is likely the ticket.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Trout Slayer_7 and Peaceful
o clarki said:
There are definitely a few streams open in the winter, but many are closed. Be sure to check the regs.

The water is likely to be pretty cold so nymphs may work better than dries. I've seen decent hatches on some of the tailwaters in the winter of course, but it is rarer on the freestones and even when there are bugs coming off, the cold flows and higher water often seems to keep fish down. I'm partial to copper johns and similar nymphs that get down quick. Whatever you fish slow and deep is likely the ticket.
Thanks for the tips, will update thread if i get any
 
I've been having decent luck swinging heavy crawdad patterns, if you really want dry fly action go with some kind of bwo pattern if you see fish rising, it can be surprisingly productive.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Troutski

Similar threads

W
Replies
8
Views
594
StillCreekSam
StillCreekSam
DanFlashes
  • Question Question
Replies
7
Views
2K
troutdude
troutdude
Grant22
Replies
4
Views
2K
bass
bass
DanFlashes
Replies
1
Views
3K
GungasUncle
GungasUncle
maxwyatt
Replies
9
Views
816
plumbertom
plumbertom
Back
Top Bottom