Cutthroat trout fishing…with a surprise

Grant22
Grant22
7425D76E-0207-4B99-8C58-8B5B2DA75D0B.jpeg

Spent the day out at the coast today and had a lot of success. Lots of resident cutties and sea-runs. There are a lot of fish around, being mobile and covering water is the key. As far as Summer steelhead I caught 1…on my trout ultralight with a 1/8oz rooster tail which resulted in scrambling over rocks with a fish on gear that’s not meant to handle that sort of fish. I landed it and it was small but I still think that was pretty cool. No pic because it was wild and I was concerned about putting to much stress on it. Then went out to a hot surfperch bite after 2 when the river closed for the day. The fish are biting so go catch some.

Reactions: Fishsizzle, bass, Admin and 3 others
Kfreese91
Kfreese91
Beautiful Fish! What river?

Grant22
Grant22
Kfreese91 said:
Beautiful Fish! What river?
Upper part of the Trask

Reactions: olshiftybiscuits, Kfreese91 and Admin
O
olshiftybiscuits
A
Anotherdude
Good to know they're still out there! Planning on hitting up the Nestucca real soon with the kayak and see what awaits.

akbrad
akbrad
any other sea run cutty reports? I know there as a little rain in Tillamook area but not sure enough to encourage the run upstream... love to hear any recent cutty stories--Trask, Nestucca--as a shore fisher...

O
olshiftybiscuits
akbrad said:
any other sea run cutty reports? I know there as a little rain in Tillamook area but not sure enough to encourage the run upstream... love to hear any recent cutty stories--Trask, Nestucca--as a shore fisher...
There are a few more fish in the system now than there were in early July but not many. We need rain.