Curious....What's The Thrill In Koke Fishing?

T
TTFishon
I haven't fished for kokes in about 25 years and now I remember why. My buddie's father in law has been catching limits of kokes lately out of GP so we got the scoop from him and a bit of info from OFF and fished GP from 5:30 til about noon. I managed to catch 4 kokes and lost 1 at the boat. I had a great time out on the water with my dog and buddy and it was cool to catch some kokes but not one of them did I actually feel the fight. The whole time while reeling them in I kept telling my buddy that I wasn't sure if there was a fish on or not. I know it was because of the dipsy diver but it was successful getting me down to the fish. Can't really complain too much because I had a great time and it was something to joke and laugh about. The fish ranged from 9 to 11 inches. All in all not a bad day just wished they were a better fight. :)

R
RunWithSasquatch
Your threads have been hot ones lately. This one will likely not disapoint.

I love that you used a dipsy!!! hahaha I think that diver pulled more weight than a jack salmon that couldnt 'pop' the diver!

I dont think anyone will know the thrill in Kokes except those that fish wollawa, wondering if they're next for a 10lb destroyer.

Taking edible fish home is always fun though.

B
beaverfan
Try it with light tackle and a downrigger and it's a bit more exciting. The method you guys used wouldn't excite me much either.

F
Finneus Polebender
We always trolled or jigged em years back at Odell they seemed to fight pretty good then, figuring that dipsy diver deal must be reel heavy.

troutdude
troutdude
The world record of 9.67 lbs. was taken out of Wallowa in June of 2010. So, a 10 pounder would be killer news (and cause a combat fishing zone for sure)!

TT...I'm actually amazed that your buddy was limiting on Kokes at GP. That is the first report that I have seen, of anyone doing any better then 3 or 4 fish per trip this whole season. Even the seasoned "limit out every trip" vets, have not been doing well. So, based on that...you did well.

As for fight, I gotta agree with BF. IMHO, they put up a decent fight on light gear. Even when they're 9 - 11 inchers. Just as much fight as most trout that size.

T
TTFishon
One of these days I'll get me a down rigger. It won't be for a while though. Until then, I think I'm going to stick with trolling for trout.

TD, my buddies father in law said that he's been catching them NE of the island using ford fenders, wedding rings tipped with corn soaked in tuna oil, at 40' to 60'.

D
Drew9870
TT,

If you don't have a downrigger, you can downrig with a slide sinker (like a 1-2+oz), I'd use a small presentation like a small flatfish or a kastmaster, even a nightcrawler, but an extra long leader so it isn't following so close to the weight of course. We have limited out at Suttle Lake just jigging Kastmasters beneath the boat.

T
TTFishon
Drew9870 said:
TT,

If you don't have a downrigger, you can downrig with a slide sinker (like a 1-2+oz), I'd use a small presentation like a small flatfish or a kastmaster, even a nightcrawler, but an extra long leader so it isn't following so close to the weight of course. We have limited out at Suttle Lake just jigging Kastmasters beneath the boat.

I thought about jigging a kastmaster on my trout rod. Maybe next time that's what I'll try. Gotta get a new transponder for my smartcast fish finder first, I think.

Thanks for the tip Drew. I appreciate all you other guys input too. :D

D
Drew9870
If you are running an electric trolling motor, I would recommend running it on a low power almost constantly while jigging until you start getting hook ups, my grandpa would usually just use a depth finder and not worry about the fish showing up on it, he would just try to stay in a known depth that the fish school up in, we would never drop anchor either, I've experienced a number of times where dropping the anchor spooked giants schools of Yellow Perch and Kokanee, you could also do like the Crappie fishermen do and drop a weight tied off to a small jug or piece of floating wood so you have a marker to work around, I have never been one to rely on the fish finder, but that is also just coming from me.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
I don't have an electric motor yet. Right now I just have the basics. I'm slowly getting there. The 25 fish limit is what draws me to the kokes. :)

M
Markcanby
I know some guys an about all they do is Koke fish. They have all teh gear know the spots. They are always showing me picks of there boat just full of 18-20" Kokes. If you get into the larger ones it would be fun but Im with you TT I aint trollin for 10" turds you can even tell are there tell you lift them from the water.

C
Combat Chuck
One thing is that you were catching "next years" fish. The current adults in GP are 14"-17" and wild! They can pop out of the clip at 60' deep and be on top the water before the rod is even in your hands. I use clamp-on craigslist downriggers($15) and ultra light trout rods with dodgers. You can even have some good fights with the little guys. Last time I was up, there was some small schools that produced some wild double hookup moments. This year I have ditched the trout fishing for kokanee, so Im guessing you just need a better 'catching' experience.

Troutski
Troutski
There are some real beauties out there, it is like anything one has to learn the methods of the species. Don't give up, check out the archives we have quite a few members that constantly catch very nice fish.
Tight lines...

Chuck

PA110019.jpg
PA110021.jpg
Waldo Lake produces record fish each year....

T
TTFishon
Hmm, 15 dollar clamp on down riggers sound good to me. Not sure, but I'll probably give it another try.

Those are some nice one's Troutski.