Curious George has a fly question.

T
the_intimidator03
Ok "curious George" has a couple questions for you fly tiers out there.

1. What is the most difficult pattern, in your opinion, to attempt to tie? (this may be something you have or havent tied)

2. What is the most difficult pattern for YOU to tie?

While you answers these questions from "curious george" I shall be out fishing with troutdude.

B
Bkerbs
Spinning deer hair looks difficult, but any pattern tied on a hook smaller than 18 is hard for me. Dry or nymphs.

O
OnTheFly
Any fly that requires wing separation is hard for me but repetitive tying cures that.

S
Sinkline

Last edited:
F
FlyBum
I'm with Randy on that one. Some of my "Crazy" steelhead flies can take some time. But I don't think I'd be caught dead tying, let alone fishing a "Full Dress" S/S fly (like OTF's pic). But the most difficult pattern for me to tie is a San Juan Worm, or a thread bodied midge!

O
OnTheFly
FlyBum said:
I'm with Randy on that one. Some of my "Crazy" steelhead flies can take some time. But I don't think I'd be caught dead tying, let alone fishing a "Full Dress" S/S fly (like OTF's pic). But the most difficult pattern for me to tie is a San Juan Worm, or a thread bodied midge!
I agree. The complexity of the San Juan Worm pattern is a very intimidating fly to tie. The degree in difficulty requires tying skills in the highest levels and anyone without at least 12 years of experience should not attempt tying one. Fat fingers can also hinder in the process.. right Flybum?

F
FlyBum
Ya, the chubby paws really hinder the ability to get them into tight spots. I'm glad I don't have a dog or cat, I'd be too embarrassed to have any one see them with the patches of fur missing that were used for either dubbing or wing/tail material. Cat whiskers make for really good mayfly tails, right Van?? Saw that cat in a few of your posts and got me thinking about a March Brown pattern :)

Last edited:
T
the_intimidator03
Reason I asked this is I wanted to see what people's thoughts were and how they compare to my thoughts. I recently decided to challenge myself and tied a deer hair mouse. When I get some decent pictures of it I will post them in the fly pattern thread.

O
OnTheFly
the_intimidator03 said:
Reason I asked this is I wanted to see what people's thoughts were and how they compare to my thoughts. I recently decided to challenge myself and tied a deer hair mouse. When I get some decent pictures of it I will post them in the fly pattern thread.
A mouse pattern? OK...spill it. What water are you planing to fish at? Sounds like a brown trout fishery to me.:think:;)

T
the_intimidator03
Alright when i break out the fly tying gear to tie up some non beadhead christmas mini leeches ill snap some pics and post them. As for fishery I dont know. Perhaps some bass pond this spring. but I do prefer to find some mouse eating trout somewhere to inhale it on the 6wt :-D

O
OnTheFly
Maybe the middle or upper Deschutes, I'm not sure. Wickiup could be another possibility or I wonder how a bull trout on the Metolius would react.

T
the_intimidator03
Wait no more. I present the deer hair mouse. Ended up using a strip of deer leather for the tail. It is also tied on a size 4 3x long streamer hook
106_0598.jpg

O
OnTheFly
Nice! Now strip that across the water an hour before you can't fish anymore and see what happens.

T
the_intimidator03
ty OTF it takes more time to trim it than tie it I think lol. I dont want to lose it to a pesky bass LOL Currently tieing mini leeches now

S
steelhead_slayer
the_intimidator03 said:

I thing deer hair mouse are pretty easy once you get a couple done. I do pretty well with them at some of the ponds around here