Cured eggs and steelhead smolts

P
plumb2fish
Did any of you read the study to know that the only time smolts died is when they were force fed these eggs and then less than 2 died, the same number that died when they were force fed eggs au natural. This is BS folks, exzctly the kind of science that lets 70-85% of our salmon to be harvested at sea and then we are force fed "poor ocean conditions"

Last edited:
troutdude
troutdude
Now, that I can believe!

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
Im with beaverfan on this one,,anything we can do as anglers to preserve fish runs should be looked into.

completely 100% agree it dosen't matter if the impact is small every little bit helps.

C
ChezJfrey
plumb2fish said:
Did any of you read the study to know that the only time smolts died is when they were force fed these eggs and then less than 2 died, the same number that died when they were force fed eggs au natural. This is BS folks, exzctly the kind of science that lets 70-85% of our salmon to be harvested at sea and then we are force fed "poor ocean conditions"

That's not what I read: http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/doc...fect_of_cured_eggs_on_juvenile_salmon_BAM.pdf

When they removed the sodium sulfite from two of the cures and compared to the same cures that still contained it, the mortality for the Na2SO3 group looks to be 20 fish of their sample, while 1 died in the group without it. However, during the injection test, none of the group without the sulfite died, while the group consuming the sulfite batches had a considerable jump in mortality. From the document: "To confirm this, the researchers also injected cured eggs directly into the stomach (to ensure consumption of a known amount). Injection of eggs cured with sodium sulfite caused 30-35% mortality within a 10 day period. Removal of sodium sulfite eliminated the mortality (0%)."

P
plumb2fish
Anyone who is interested in what actually happened in this test should e-mail Scott Amerman as he was actually involved in the testing and disagrees with what has been published.

T
TTFishon
plumb2fish said:
Anyone who is interested in what actually happened in this test should e-mail Scott Amerman as he was actually involved in the testing and disagrees with what has been published.

What's his argument?

P
plumb2fish
Ask Scott, at least one of the cures containing sodium sulfite resulted in 0 mortality, only when in combination with other additives did mortality occur. there was no mention of this in the study.

Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Can you PM me his email address and I will?

B
bigsteel
TTFishon said:
What's his argument?

ive seen scotts arguments,bottom line is if you need sodium sulfite to catch fish then threres something wrong,,as an angler,if we can't even give NON SODIUM SULFITE cures a chance then whats the point?we are the stewards of the river,,how about you inhale a bunch of sodium sulfite and see how u feel,,now imagine that in a 4 inch fish...can u imagine that every year in oregon rivers theres probablly TONS AND TONS of sodium sulfite from our baits that go into the river..i mean how disgusting,,also scotts an egg manufacturer so i wouldnt fully go by what he says.

T
TTFishon
bigsteel said:
ive seen scotts arguments,bottom line is if you need sodium sulfite to catch fish then threres something wrong,,as an angler,if we can't even give NON SODIUM SULFITE cures a chance then whats the point?we are the stewards of the river,,how about you inhale a bunch of sodium sulfite and see how u feel,,now imagine that in a 4 inch fish...can u imagine that every year in oregon rivers theres probablly TONS AND TONS of sodium sulfite from our baits that go into the river..i mean how disgusting,,also scotts an egg manufacturer so i wouldnt fully go by what he says.

That's where I was going with this. I'd like to see his opinion even though I know it will more than likely be a biased one due to the fact that ODFW studied something he profits from.

B
bigsteel
TTFishon said:
That's where I was going with this. I'd like to see his opinion even though I know it will more than likely be a biased one due to the fact that ODFW studied something he profits from.

i just dont see any benefit of the chemicals other then to the angler and even then sulfite is not the key,,,,,hell why even use eggs just soak up yarn with sodium sulfite...

P
plumb2fish
if you fish, you are a detriment to the population of the species. all i am saying is there may just be more to the story than what meets the eye. fishing with anything where smolts/parr are present is going to result in mortality. believe nothing you hear and half of what you see....