Culling fish?

I don't remember seeing this in the regs, but can you cull trout in Oregon? This would assume that they are in a livewell and are not injured in any way.

Am I missing something? To cull something means to remove it from a group based on specific criteria, usually by killing the ones selected to be culled. How does that not injure the fish?

Am I missing something? To cull something means to remove it from a group based on specific criteria, usually by killing the ones selected to be culled. How does that not injure the fish?

its like bass terms in a bass tournament you typically get your best 5 fish of the day and you can cull out a smaller fish for a larger fish like an upgrade, but all the fish must be alive you can't cull a dead fish, unfortunately trout die a lot easier and i couldnt see it bieng that effective

Up grading is the term I use, but some also call it culling. Personally I just have a minimum size in my mind, anything smaller just gets released.

I don't think you can once you reach the daily limit...prior to that, I assume it's OK if the fish are healthy.

From the regs: "Continuing to angle for the same type of fish after taking and retaining a catch or possession limit."

From the Regs:
General Restrictions Page 10:
The following activities are unlawful:
14 Continuing to angle for the same type of fish after taking and retaining a catch or possession limit. Exceptions are provided for in bass
fishing tournament regulations and while anglers are providing assistance to a disabled angler (see page 7). Anglers may continue to
angle for sturgeon provided all subsequent fish are released.

Thanks, wozniasm. Hadn't thought about that angle of it. Of course, all of this is dreaming on my part, I have to catch the D@#*n things first ;-)

Top Bottom