Crabbing on Siuslaw tide water...

K
kwikfisher
Anyone think crabbing down at the Coast Guard station would be worth a shot at current river level? Thanks in advance!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I was thinking of giving it one more go, I would try and get as close to the ocean as possible, A6 would be a good area if it isn't too rough.

more chrome chinook caught Tuesday, nice ones posted at Cushman FB page...

roger

K
kwikfisher
Thanks Roger! Would certainly be trolling during the pot soak time, why not?

K
kwikfisher
Also, one would imagine that if the level of salinity was tolerable the crabs would be in eating all the tasty tidbits brought down river by the runoff...

K
kwikfisher
Caught 5 nice keepers, and had a ton of smaller crabs. Trolled for Chinook down by, and below the Coast Guard station to kill time, but not happening...Kinda liked the relaxed and easy parking launch this time of year. Next time I may drop my pots and run back to Mo's and have lunch.

Reactions: rogerdodger
GaryP1958
GaryP1958
They just closed it Heceta Head to Ca border dont eat them!

K
kwikfisher
Thanks for the warning Gary....

K
kwikfisher
The higher toxin concentrations in Crabs seems to be farther south than Siuslaw bay, but certainly worth considering. I ate crab on Thursday so the die is cast for me. Fortunately, I don't eat the "butter" or gills, so maybe I dodged a possible bullet?

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
kwikfisher said:
The higher toxin concentrations in Crabs seems to be farther south than Siuslaw bay, but certainly worth considering. I ate crab on Thursday so the die is cast for me. Fortunately, I don't eat the "butter" or gills, so maybe I dodged a possible bullet?

I think you would be totally safe if you cleaned them before cooking. Even if you cooked them whole still probably OK, I had DA poisoning in Singapore about 10 years ago from some scallops, it hit about 3 hours after eating them, it was seriously not fun...

FYI: Heceta head is often used as the geographic demarcation point for these closures but not due to any specific data near it. the Florence beaches and Siuslaw river get lumped with the southern areas not due to data but just because Heceta Head happens to be just north of us. When they did collect Florence razor clam data last spring, we matched the Newport and northern beaches (low DA) and we did not match the Coos Bay data (very high DA).

K
kwikfisher
Maybe I missed it, but I saw nothing posted at the old town launch regarding warnings.
There was 4or5 other crabbers out there and on a different topic, most struck out with fish bait, but using Chicken I had at least 50 crabs in the 2 hrs I fished. Also I was further up river then them.

J
JeannaJigs
It just closed yesterday, they usually don't post these things because you're supposed to call the hotline everytime before you go for shellfish, it is constantly updated with closures for all shellfish. The info you need can be found via search on the ODFW website. I'd post a direct link but I'm on my phone and its a PITA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
JeannaJigs said:
It just closed yesterday, they usually don't post these things because you're supposed to call the hotline everytime before you go for shellfish, it is constantly updated with closures for all shellfish. The info you need can be found via search on the ODFW website. I'd post a direct link but I'm on my phone and its a PITA

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

this is where I get the lastest info, Oregon Dept. of Agriculture has the lead on these things, ODFW follows:

http://www.oregon.gov/ODA/programs/FoodSafety/Shellfish/Pages/ShellfishClosures.aspx

K
kwikfisher
Thanks guys! I don't contribute much, but I sure pick up good info here on OFF.
Would hate to drive all the way out etc. and find out something had been closed...

C
coyo7e
Sign up for their newsletter updates online, I get emailed the updates as soon as they get announced, I can check my email on my phone, and never have to call and ask. The DA announcements show up REALLY fast, even faster than the facebook posts I see from folks who are really, really into posting stuff like that in my fishing groups.. ;)