Crab raking

T
TTFishon
Is this legal and does anyone have any experience raking crabs?

D
DB Crouper
Back in the 50s I saw people rake crabs from crab holes on Seaside beach. We thought it funny, because after digging a limit of razor clams, we would either pick them up by hand or scoop them out of deeper water with our clam shovel. We always took an extra gunney sack for crabs. I don't think there's enough close in crabs for raking to be successful, but it's still legal.

• clam1.jpg
  • clam4.jpg
  • DungenessCrab1[1].jpg
Last edited:
T
TTFishon
Nice!

C
chrisohm
In the back bay area in Newport you can get your limit in cockles and at the same time find some crab. The last time I was there we ran into quite a few but they were female or too small. Since we were not going after the crabs we didn't do much about it....

F
fish4life
We use to it all the time by the pier in garibaldi, just wait for a minus tide and rake in the area to the right of the pier. you use to be able to get your limit in no time. Mostly cockles but there are gapers there you just have to dig deep in the sand with a shovel for those. As far as closures are concerned. I believe you can clam year round as long as there isn't a redtide. If you want razors I think most people go to seaside and there is a season for those.

F
Finneus Polebender
TTFishon said:
Is this legal and does anyone have any experience raking crabs?

Did it when I was a teenager in Yachats waited for a minus tide and raked the big tide pools at the base of the big rocks we did good, only seems to work well when you can get to the parts exposed by the lowest tides.

S
Slick
DB Crouper said:
Back in the 50s I saw people rake crabs from crab holes on Seaside beach. We thought it funny, because after digging a limit of razor clams, we would either pick them up by hand or scoop them out of deeper water with our clam shovel. We always took an extra gunney sack for crabs. I don't think there's enough close in crabs for raking to be successful, but it's still legal.
I was just a little kid in the 50's so I wouldn't remember, old man.

C
CoastieFlo
You dont need to rake them..................just wait for a real low minus tide (like -2.0 or close) at NIGHT.......walk out and find the pools in the bay and there should be plenty of crabs you can just pick up.

Have done this in the winter (you have to pick your weather...be safe) under the 101 bridge at Newport with excellent success.

N
n8r1
I saw a guy doing it in Seaside. It was during a really low slack tide, and he had a basket/rake looking thing attached to a 20 foot pole, and he was raking where the Necanicum hits the ocean. During low tide it's only 30 feet wide, and he was wearing hip waders. He had a couple crabs every rake, and had a bucket full of keepers.