Coyotes!!! .22 or .17hmr?

H
halibuthitman
juggernaut506 said:
The .50 BMG is the only caliber that has never been used in a crime in America.

one of the best friends that I have ever had in my life was an Alaska state trooper that was gunned down answering a domestic with no back up in rural Alaska... Right through his body armor, with a 50 cal. ..... is killing state troopers not a crime? 3 months later a Native alaskan shot a hole in the ( oops I mean first people ) the Alaska pipeline with one...

J
juggernaut506
halibuthitman said:
one of the best friends that I have ever had in my life was an Alaska state trooper that was gunned down answering a domestic with no back up in rural Alaska... Right through his body armor, with a 50 cal. ..... is killing state troopers not a crime? 3 months later a Native alaskan shot a hole in the ( oops I mean first people ) the Alaska pipeline with one...

All the sources I've found have never heard of a .50 cal used in a crime. .50 cal handguns I'm sure have been but it doesn't take a big bullet to go though body armor. A .223 will go though even U.S. military SAPI plates. A round from an M4 can even though the bullet proof glass used on HMMWV's at close range where at the same range an M2 .50 cal did not.

C
chris61182
halibuthitman said:

Care to share with us the name of that officer? Because not even the VPC with their lengthy page detailing every last 50bmg crime (most of which are merely possession related) list any US officers being killed.

For example, the Violence Policy Center is only able to document four actual uses of .50 BMG rifle by criminals (two in Mexico, two in the United States, including the Branch Davidian incident in Waco, Texas),

H
halibuthitman
No, No I don't... He was killed with a desert eagle handgun, But you all can state all the arguments you want... and stand behind a constitutional right that was voted in when "arms" meant having a tool that could shoot a ball roughtly twice as fast as you could throw it.... these guns are the most sincere form of penis envy I have ever seen.. makes a jacked up ford look like barbies soccer rig... Im sorry I ever even posted on this thread... killing a living creature for sport with a 50 cal is malice... and disrespectful... Im done here

G
GDBrown
To get back on Target here.... If you plan on skinning the coyote I would stick with a small caliber .22 or 243 with hollow point ammo so all the energy is expended inside the critter and doesn't leave a big hole on the "Far Side". I know I've seen some cartoons about coyotes on "Far Side" before. Shoot for the shoulder or the head if you want a clean pelt. Shoulders tend to scatter the bullet into smaller fragments that don't come out. Head aren't used anyway, unless your name is Daniel. LOL

H
halibuthitman
911 Job Forums > General Law Enforcement Forums > Public Safety Memorial > Alaska State Trooper Slain in the line of duty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PDAView Full Version : Alaska State Trooper Slain in the line of duty

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

parcellspost11-29-2001, 17:52
Suspect Kills Trooper, 2 Children, Himself

On Saturday November 24, 2001, at around 11:00am, Alaska State Troopers in Palmer were notified of a domestic disturbance at approximately mile 59 of the Parks Highway. According to
information received, Amy Cordell, age 25 of Wasilla, jumped from a Suburban being driven by Ryan Andrews, age 24 of Wasilla, to avoid being assaulted. Also in the vehicle at the time were the couple's two children, Cheyenne Cordell age three and Kluane (kluu-an-ee) Cordell age one. After Cordell jumped from the car, passersby contacted Troopers who, along with a Houston EMS ambulance, responded to the scene. After troopers arrived, Andrews reportedly turned around and drove south to the
couple's home in the Best View Trailer Park, mile 35.5 of the Parks Highway. Troopers followed Andrews to his residence, arriving at around 11:24am. At 11:26am, Trooper Hans Roelle walked up the driveway in an attempt to make contact with Andrews when Andrews appeared on the porch of the residence, shot at least once with a large caliber "Desert Eagle" handgun, striking Trooper Roelle once and killing him instantly. Andrews then went back in the trailer, and troopers reported hearing three more shots. Back-up was called, and within an hour, troopers and police officers from Wasilla and Palmer had surrounded the trailer.
At around 1:45pm, after hearing nothing from within the residence for more than two hours, troopers entered the residence and found Andrews and his two children all deceased. It is believed that Andrews shot both children before shooting himself.

Trooper Hans Roelle is the 12th Alaska State Trooper since statehood to die in the line of duty. He was a 17-year veteran of the Troopers, graduating from the Public Safety Academy as part of Class 38 in June of 1984. Trooper Roelle had been with the Commercial Vehicle Enforcement division of the Troopers until earlier this year when he transferred to Palmer to return to patrol duty. Trooper Roelle is survived by his wife and four children.
All four bodies from the incident are being transported to the State Medical Examiner's Office for autopsies. The investigation is continuing.
# # #
Any charges included in this press release are merely an accusation and the defendant is presumed
innocent until and unless proven guilty.

parcellspost12-01-2001, 16:09
Solemn farewell
Family, community remember slain officer as true hero

By Lucas Wall
Anchorage Daily News

(Published: December 1, 2001)

Last edited:
S
SantiamDrifter
I probably shoulda put a lol in my post. Becuz I wasn't serious. I thought that was obvious, my bad. That being said, a semi auto isn't a bad choice for excatly that reason, fast fallow up shots.

C
chris61182
halibuthitman said:
No, No I don't... He was killed with a desert eagle handgun, But you all can state all the arguments you want... and stand behind a constitutional right that was voted in when "arms" meant having a tool that could shoot a ball roughtly twice as fast as you could throw it.... these guns are the most sincere form of penis envy I have ever seen.. makes a jacked up ford look like barbies soccer rig... Im sorry I ever even posted on this thread... killing a living creature for sport with a 50 cal is malice... and disrespectful... Im done here

First off, my condolences for your friend.

It's just too bad you've bought into the Hollywood hype. 50AE is not particularly impressive when you compare it against the sort of pistols people are toting around Alaska; 44mag, 454 casull, 500 S&W, etc... So just forget everything you've learned from the movies or the internet commandos, it's almost entirely untrue.

C
chris61182
STIKTIME said:
So i have some family members that have some property and they were talking about some yotes running around. I really want to get into some coyote hunting, but I'm not to sure which gun to buy? Ive been looking around and doing some research and I really like all of the savage models. I have a savage 30-06 and like the way it shoots all around. What does everyone use for coyotes? I know that the .17 shoots farther but the .22 packs a little more punch? Also, I'm not looking to spend more than 300. Thanks and any pointers are appreciated in advance!!!!!!

I think you'd be happy with what ever caliber you pick, whether it's...
17hm2 v. 22lr
17hmr v. 22wmr

just pick the one that tickles your fancy the most :)

Oh and if you go with the 22lr, look at some of the Aguila ammo, they've really added some spunk to the cartridge.

J
juggernaut506
Maybe my .17 HMR is just picky but if you get one make sure you stick with the same kind of ammo. If I shoot a 20 grain V-Max then switch to a 20 grain hollow point my zero is off by about 4 inches at 100 yards. Also it changes my zero by about 6 inches if I shoot a 17 grain.

.22 LR's are one of the most widely used guns in crimes. I think they should be banned. So you should buy the smaller diameter round. (lol, JK)

N
Ntofishing
I just bought a 25.06 weatherby vanguard. You might at least go look at one no matter what caliber you want it in. As for caliber I would recommend 22l or .223 because of the availability of cheep ammo out there and it will do the job. You could even consider 243 or 25.06 and use them for the deer also.

S
stream2.5
i love my 6mm... .243 but faster with longer range.. good for everything up to elk