Coos River Steelhead fishing buddy wanted

F
Fishtration
EXPERIENCED STEELHEAD FISHERMAN familiar with the Coos and Millicoma Rivers needed for hands-on guidance during my now-annual X-mas trip to Coos Bay from December 23-28. I was skunked last Christmas during my indoctrination to Oregon Steelhead, and don't relish the thought of hearing any more good natured jeering from the in-laws this year. I am a proficient east-coast (USA) angler, but an Oregon Steelhead virgin. If you have the interest in sharing your knowledge of bank or boat drift fishing on the Coos/Millicoma Rivers over this time period (Location of in-laws house), please let me know. I do not have the funds to procure a professional $650/day guide, but would be more than happy to compensate you for your gas (up to 50 gals, if you know what I mean). I am a quick study and do have all the necessary gear (this year). Let me know.

P
plumb2fish
Sounds a little phishy to me.......if you know what I mean...lol

P
plumb2fish
Btw, those streams are pretty easy to fish, bobber/jig or size 3-4 spinners work really well. Steelhead are just trout, go get some and save your "gas $"

F
Fishtration
plumb2fish - Thanks for the response - I regret that I offended your sensibilities. I only have a short window to fish for Pacific NW Steelhead - 4 days a year. I wasted those 4 days last year fishing the typical "you should have been here yesterday" spots using the same techniques you highlighted. I will be out there this year fishing no matter what, but since I do not have the time or contacts to learn the streams by myslef, I was hoping for some local knowledge to at least get me pointed in the right direction. As far as your reference to $$, after my out of state $102 license fees, $100 oversized airline bag fees for rod case, another $200 on tackle, a $300 rental car, plus plus plus - can you really begrudge my offer to pay a little gas money to a local for his expertise on "Take an East Coast Smallmouth Fisherman Fishing - Day"? I'm not say'n.... I'm just say'n....

R
rippin fish lips
Fishtration said:
plumb2fish - Thanks for the response - I regret that I offended your sensibilities. I only have a short window to fish for Pacific NW Steelhead - 4 days a year. I wasted those 4 days last year fishing the typical "you should have been here yesterday" spots using the same techniques you highlighted. I will be out there this year fishing no matter what, but since I do not have the time or contacts to learn the streams by myslef, I was hoping for some local knowledge to at least get me pointed in the right direction. As far as your reference to $$, after my out of state $102 license fees, $100 oversized airline bag fees for rod case, another $200 on tackle, a $300 rental car, plus plus plus - can you really begrudge my offer to pay a little gas money to a local for his expertise on "Take an East Coast Smallmouth Fisherman Fishing - Day"? I'm not say'n.... I'm just say'n....

If i new those rivers, i would be glad to take you! but i have never seen them or fished them ='/
I'm quite sure you will find a local on this awesome OFF place :D

P
plumb2fish
Fishtration said:

All I was meaning is the way you worded your post, that it could easily be misconstrued as "guiding" without a license to do so...I was simply trying to let you and others know that this could be considered illegal and could result in loss of fishing license and fine/possible jail time. Offering to split expenses is even a touchy subject...as far as L.E. goes.

Last edited:
P
plumb2fish
fishtration, send me a pm when you get into town and I will get you in touch with a local steelheader from that area if I can not make the trip myself.

F
Fishtration
Plumb2fish - WOW, I was completely unaware of the politics out there with regard to the "appearance of guiding without a license." Thanks for the education! Sharing expenses is routine out here on the East Coast, especially for inshore and offshore billfishing. I certainly do not want to promulgate illegal activity in your State and recind the offer. BTW, I just found and booked a licensed guide for only $175 for drift boat fishing on the South Fork of the Coquille River or Umpqua River, for the first day of my trip. It's not quite my "home waters" but I will get experience and training on side drifting so I won't be green on my father-in-law's boat later in the week. I'll PM you upon arrival. Thanks for the policy education and Merry Christmas.

D
deejay
im not a guide but youre talking about my home town. I know this area very well and have access to private property on the east fork of the milliacoma were im able to slide my drift boat in and have drifted every river on the coos and coquille. I could get you a seat on a trip with me, no funds are needed because id be fishing whether you came along or not. However the only thing i ever gaurantee people is a nice boat ride, but we rarely come back empty handed.

F
Fishtration
Deejay - Thanks for the generous offer! I would love to take you up on it. I likely will be staying in a rental house on the East fork of the Millicoma (in-laws live just downstream of the Coos River confluence) over X-mas and also have access to some private land on the Millicoma through them. BTW, I recall seeing your boat somewhere else online while researching steelheading means and methods - and recall the vivid UO colors. For full disclosure, and this could be a deal breaker, I am from SEC country and will be betting on "War Eagle" in the game minus 3 points (but watching the Ducks cheerleaders - there must be something in the Eugene drinking water) - But if its any consolation: (1) I was glad UO beat OSU (Father-in-law's team) in the Civil War this year if only to keep undeserving teams like TCU and Boise St out; (2) watching USC get blown out after leading in the 3rd quarter was priceless; and, (3) I relished in the Jeremiah Masoli failure at Ole Miss (I don't know him personally, just his police record). I will PM you upon arrival to check your schedule and availablilty. Thanks again - I hope we can work this out!

Last edited:
R
Razz
deejay said:
im not a guide but youre talking about my home town. I know this area very well and have access to private property on the east fork of the milliacoma were im able to slide my drift boat in and have drifted every river on the coos and coquille. I could get you a seat on a trip with me, no funds are needed because id be fishing whether you came along or not. However the only thing i ever gaurantee people is a nice boat ride, but we rarely come back empty handed.

Thanks for HELPING a fellow fisherman,hope to be fishing the Chetco so if you need river report drop me a note.

D
deejay
Everyone thinks that my boat is painted like the Oregon ducks but it's actually a perch rapala either way it doesn't bother me I'd like to repaint it I don't like the yellow in clear water. Were gonna try to hit the east fork of the Coquille in the AM well see it was blown out Friday and I'll have to keep an eye on the rain gauge tonight.

Last edited:
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
deejay said:
Everyone thinks that my boat is painted like the Oregon ducks but it's actually a perch rapala

Priceless!! :lol::lol::lol: