Coos, Coquille, or Umpqua next week?

S
SNDSLGR
I grew up in Roseburg so I am familiar with the area. I staying in Roseburg at my grandparents next week and was thinking about dragging the boat down. I fish the Columbia and Willy a lot but my grandpa is getting kinda old to make the trip. I would love to put him on a nice nook and drag some sea spiders home too.

Any locals want to shed some light on my best bet. Salmon and Crab are both on my mind. I have a great boat and am comfortable in rough water, and combat conditions if the pay-off is there.

The few posts I find sounds like the Coquille has the best salmon run predicted this year but can't find much on rather or not the fish have shown up yet. I also dont know if crabbing is any good in this bay.

Reedsport/winchester I am most familiar with but have spent zero time on the water here. Crab the north jetty and troll the jaws a decent plan?

Coos, not sure about much here but I am all ears.

Nobody needs to give up their hot spots just some pointer or general info, mostly which place will fish and crab the best this coming week. Hot baits/lures? Flasher/herring? diver or lead? spinners, brads?

Thanks in advance,

T

M
Mad dog
Coos bay has been excellent crabbing and decent chinook fishing lately! Easy limits of Dungeness between the jetties and the small boat basin at Charelston, excellent clamming as well! The boys didn't salmon fish but saw guys catching chinook right at the jetties. I also know someone that has been regularly getting chinook on the Coquille, august is way early for good Coquille salmon fishing, but....they are there! Winchester bay is probably your best shot for chinook and a decent chance for crabs. I have heard lots of good chinook reports from the Umpqua already! Gonna be a good fall run this year!

B
bigfootfish
I just crossed over Lookingglass Creek on 42 where it dumps into the South Umpqua. Some guy just come up from the shoreline with a nice stringer of big smallmouths. Fat devils!!!

B
bigfootfish
I'll also be in Myrtle Point in a little while. I'll ask some of the locals about the salmon on the Coquille.

B
bigfootfish
Mad dog said:
Coos bay has been excellent crabbing and decent chinook fishing lately! Easy limits of Dungeness between the jetties and the small boat basin at Charelston, excellent clamming as well! The boys didn't salmon fish but saw guys catching chinook right at the jetties. I also know someone that has been regularly getting chinook on the Coquille, august is way early for good Coquille salmon fishing, but....they are there! Winchester bay is probably your best shot for chinook and a decent chance for crabs. I have heard lots of good chinook reports from the Umpqua already! Gonna be a good fall run this year!

Mad dog, if you are around later this afternoon, meet me at Loves and I'll buy you an Arby's. I'd like to shake your hand and meet a living legend!!

B
bigfootfish
bigfootfish said:
I'll also be in Myrtle Point in a little while. I'll ask some of the locals about the salmon on the Coquille.

Some of my company's clients in Coquille, which is where the Mainstem Coquille River is affected by Tidewater, say a few people are hookin' nearby. It's too early this far up the river.

Mad dog, if you read this in time and saw my invitation, then plans have changed. I'll be at Elmer's restaurant next to the Windmill Inn around 6 pm tonight. Look for a forest green Humvee.

S
SNDSLGR
Mad dog said:

Thanks, is the small boat basin on the south side of the bay just a bit inside the jetty? Flashers and herring on the bottom the go-to rig?

Red Alumaweld Intruder, will be there wed and thurs at least.

T

M
Mad dog
bigfootfish said:
Mad dog, if you are around later this afternoon, meet me at Loves and I'll buy you an Arby's. I'd like to shake your hand and meet a living legend!!

Ha,ha...legend in my own mind maybe! :D :rolleyes:

Sorry I was at work!

M
Mad dog
SNDSLGR said:
Thanks, is the small boat basin on the south side of the bay just a bit inside the jetty? Flashers and herring on the bottom the go-to rig?

Red Alumaweld Intruder, will be there wed and thurs at least.

T

Ya, right at Charleston. The boys said most of the guys they saw fishing were mooching with just a weight, a good way to catch the occassional lingcod or rockfish as well as salmon.

M
Mad dog
bigfootfish said:
I just crossed over Lookingglass Creek on 42 where it dumps into the South Umpqua. Some guy just come up from the shoreline with a nice stringer of big smallmouths. Fat devils!!!

A very popular fishing hole with the locals in Winston, it used to be an excellent Coho hole before they closed the south to salmon fishing.

M
Mad dog
I heard of more salmon being caught in the Coquille bay this weekend....not hot fishing but steady for the guys that know how to fish it! The guys I know hauled the camp trailer over for a month stay getting ready for the big show!!! :clap:

T
Thuggin4Life
I would say winchester has everything you want. Good luck! Save some fish for the rest of us.

R
reelguy
coquille questions...

coquille questions...

where is it? and does it have winter steelies?

S
scottishsmokedsalmon
other side of coos bay and just now its probably full of mud,just like the coos