Cool little discovery

P
PNW Sam
Found something a little surprising in my attic yesterday... :D

When my dad walked in the door after I bought my first salmon rod and reel a month or two ago, he said in the nicest way possible that it was pretty much worthless. I bought a baitcaster and he was always and spinning reel guy. He said he had something that looked identical in the attic that he got for Christmas 25 years ago and used once, hated, and never used again. Didn't put much thought in to it until yesterday so I went up a looked. First thing I noticed was that it was a Lamiglass rod... His only steelhead rod he used when he stopped fishing 10 years ago was an uglystick. Thought that was pretty interesting, so I took a glance at the reel. Said Abu Garcia 5000, so I went inside and looked them up.

The rod is a G1000 Series, still produced today, and listed at 280 bucks... Dang, and it was just sitting in the attic lol. Then I looked up the reel and soon found out that it is was a very innovative reel and every modern baitcaster borrows the features that were first found in the 5000. I'm not sure if it is an original or a remake, but it says Abu Garcia 5000, is red, bought 25 years ago, and I didn't really look for other markings.

Just thought I'd share this because I thought it was pretty awesome and was wondering if there are any issues with a rod sitting unused in a hot attic for at least 10 of the last 25 years. Will it be damaged in any way?

Also, if anyone wants to take a shot at identifying the reel I'll take some pictures and post them.

H
halibuthitman
Hmmm... A ambassador on a lami.... Unbelievable, usually they keep them in the garage, every garage in wash and Oregon. The rod should be just fine and it's a great reel, probablythe most popular salmon reel in the world

P
PNW Sam
Alright thanks.

I know it's not uncommon at all, was just surprised to find a 400 dollar setup just sitting around barely used. :shock:

Gonna have to try it out though. The only thing is that it's a right hand retrieve reel and it feels really unnatural to me.

R
RunWithSasquatch
They're a little cheaper than that. But the G1000's are a great rod, and Abu's like Hitman said are awesome, last forever, and are easy to repair!

troutdude
troutdude
Yep. Good rod and good reel; just like Hitman and Squatch have mentioned.

Maybe you can trade someone, for a lefty?

P
PNW Sam
Cool! Wasn't sure about the price on the reel because I didn't know the exact model and all that good stuff so I just guessed around 100 bucks.

And that's a good idea troutdude, might look in to that. :D

J
joesnuffy
that's a pretty sweet find. ONly one way to test the rod out..... catch something big on it :p