Conversations with bears

H
halibuthitman
I had spent the better part of today fishing the muddy waters of Alaskas Anchor river for steelhead today, Black Francis was screaming into my ears from my ipod " gouge away, you can gouge away, stay all day if you want to" i chuckled and thought " thats what its gonna take. Turning around to pick out another fly.. I was suprised to see a bear sitting on his haunches watching what i had been doing. i always talk to the bears i see on the river so removing my ear phone i struck up a conversation.. " seems you got the drop on me... Coulda had me huh? The bear looked up river as if he was bored. " i hope your not looking for pointers, not really putting on much of a seminar today" the bear stood up, shook himself and walked out to the river bank 2o ft down stream of me. " kinda wet and cold out today" the bear looked at me, his eyes looked sad and hungry, i felt for him. He looked out at the brown water... " yeah , pretty ****ed huh? " he sat down again. My eyes wandered to the snow covered hills around us. " they are all gone.. Its over, winter is upon us.. The river is mine now, go to bed" all of a sudden he stood up, looked down river and shot off across the river and into the timber and was gone.. Moments later two fishermen rounded the corner a dissapeared up to the road when they saw i had the drift. My eyes once again scanned the snow covered hills and i accepted the fact that my days here are numbered.. Its time to go home-

Reactions: JeannaJigs
Raincatcher
Raincatcher
I'm not surprised...no bear in his right mind would challenge our resident "hit man". :flex: :hi: I'm glad he wasn't all that hungry and got home with your hide in tact. Do you carry bear repellent or a gun of some kind to protect yourself?

T
Tinker
Good day, huh?

T
troutmasta
Mace him. :lol:

Just kidding....save it for the hippies here.

H
halibuthitman
My friends wont let me have pepper spray, i carry a 45 automatic. And yes, it was a great day.. Now im off to Yakatat- then home and straight to the Trask!!!

T
troutmasta
dont shoot hippies

H
halibuthitman
troutmasta said:
dont shoot hippies

It would be futile... There are just too damn many here, might as well just smoke a bowl and enjoy their shine... And leave the politics in the car-

E
eggs
some late season carp fishing when you get back?? bahahahhahahahahaha I kid! Lets nail some JD chrome!

H
halibuthitman
eggs said:
some late season carp fishing when you get back?? bahahahhahahahahaha I kid! Lets nail some JD chrome!

Word.. Is it cold down there yet?

T
troutmasta
halibuthitman said:
enjoy their shine... -

I thought youd never say it. My little heart is flush with joy-

Last edited:
SiletzTroutKiller
SiletzTroutKiller
Great story!

O
OnTheFly
Bottle of Jameson make a man brave. jk. As always, good visual story.

E
eggs
halibuthitman said:
Word.. Is it cold down there yet?

Just about freezing outside right now.. 33 degrees..