Coho flies??

R
Roolinghills
Hey guys.. anyone have suggestions on hatch/colors for flies for some coho? I was planning on trying some western nymphs and seeing what happens, but I don't know if that would be the best bet. I was just planning on tying a pink yarn ball off the fly also, as I usually do for steelies.. but do Coho even go for that stuff??

Heading to the lower river this weekend with the old man and a buddy who's never fished before. Should be interesting. Dad insists on plunking, I'll set the buddy up with some spoons, and I'll try out the flies. At that point, I think we've got the technique spectrum covered.. :)

I've also got some quality eggs to hang below a bobber.. and a half-full jar of "sturgeon candy".. do those pickled fish work for salmon? Heck, I've even thought about hanging some squid behind a spin n' glo.

It's been too long without a fish. It's time to rip some lip..

** last weekend on the lower Sandy I saw 2 fish turning and three fish jumping. 4 were pretty spotted but the one that jumped highest had a beautiful shine on. No spots and he was HUGE.

J
joesnuffy
I've always been told to use flashy streamers and strip it past them like a lure. Coho's can be really aggressive/defensive so you want to **** them off.

I did hook a couple 2 years ago fishing jig type flies. It was in fast current.

R
Roolinghills
thanks! I'll give it a shot and see how it goes!

C
ChezJfrey
joesnuffy said:
I've always been told to use flashy streamers and strip it past them like a lure. Coho's can be really aggressive/defensive so you want to **** them off.

I did hook a couple 2 years ago fishing jig type flies. It was in fast current.

I work with a guy that catches coho with a fly...same thing he said. Streamers and some stripping/jig type motion.

J
john montana
Not a great picture, but i've caught the bulk of my coho with a green and pink yarn fly...this is the fly in the mouth of an old chinook from Saturday:

-E213-418E-8E37-00A77EECDF78-1901-0000010A8B1227B8.jpg

It is a basic fly...pink chenile body, overwrapped by chartreuse yarn. I deaddrift it and then swing it up at the end of the drift. It has worked well in the past...no luck with silvers this year though.

H
halibuthitman
A white and pink dali lama stripped aggressively.